Pics of my Herter's and Walker fraternal quadruplets

Started by CincyDavid, February 20, 2023, 01:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyDavid

I have taken a liking to these reels, they feel OK, no obvious weak points are far as nylon or plastic parts, and cheap to buy.  Japanese trade reels with different retailers' labels.

CincyDavid

I did drop one screw from the gold one's side cover, and can't find it for the life of me. It'll either turn up or I'll improvise. Might have to go through my parts reels and see if anything matches.

oldmanjoe

I see it , it`s rite there in the rug on top of the washer machine .    >:D 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

CincyDavid

I wish.  Unfortunately it's in the shaggy rug under my desk, can't believe it.

CincyDavid

Now I have a little Herter's 910 in the dark brown color coming.  Hopefully it's a nice reel too.  I like "sets" of reels.

CincyDavid

So the Herter's 910 and Walker 2200 are identical. Wonder how many other sizes are out there?

CincyDavid

So Sportsman-labeled reels seem to also be identical to these except for nametag and paint color.  These crazy things are growing on me.

CincyDavid

So, it would appear that these reels were at least marketed, if not manufactured, in Japan by a company called Point. They also built a worm drive reel called Water-King which appears to be identical to some higher-end Roddy reels.  These Japanese reels are starting to confuse me a little...

Midway Tommy

Quote from: CincyDavid on March 24, 2023, 12:43:16 AMSo, it would appear that these reels were at least marketed, if not manufactured, in Japan by a company called Point. They also built a worm drive reel called Water-King which appears to be identical to some higher-end Roddy reels.  These Japanese reels are starting to confuse me a little...

No reason to get overly confused. The majority of the pre mid 1970s Japanese made reels you come across were made by either Ueno Seiko, which was later Olympic, Compac or Daiwa. They just had different names on them. It's interesting finding basically the same reels with different labels. Long about the mid '70s & later some new manufactures like Ohmori, Shimano, Point, Ryobi, etc. jumped into the game 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Walter61

Quote from: CincyDavid on March 24, 2023, 12:43:16 AMSo, it would appear that these reels were at least marketed, if not manufactured, in Japan by a company called Point. They also built a worm drive reel called Water-King which appears to be identical to some higher-end Roddy reels.  These Japanese reels are starting to confuse me a little...

The Waterking was also used, among other things, in the 70s
Ertl 1007 (angling shop in Munich) and sold as Elite 28 through Kaufhof.

CincyDavid

Good grief, so there is a whole series of Water-Kings I need to hunt down.  I guess it keeps me out of taverns and things if I'm chasing fishing reels.

CincyDavid

This Dolphin 595 just arrived in the mailbox today.  I am going to assume it's a Water-King.

CincyDavid

Midway Tommy

Don't assume. It was sold under the name Dolphin along with around nine or ten other models. Again, a limited number of Japanese manufactures made the majority of the Japanese made reels from that time frame, they just put different names, stickers and decals on them. The Japanese made Dolphins were made by Point.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CincyDavid

Here's a "hotrod" Water-King courtesy of a gentleman in a FB group I belong to, Antonio Magliocchetti.