TLD 5 hard to turn as drag is tightened.

Started by Pescatoral Pursuit, February 22, 2012, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pescatoral Pursuit

Quote from: day0ne on February 28, 2012, 09:54:18 PM
Quote from: Pescatoral Pursuit on February 28, 2012, 03:10:36 PM
However, I'm still having the same issue with the drag, only not as pronounced. Once you get past the strike button it takes significant pressure to push the lever to full drag and the handle becomes slightly harder to turn.

Are you sure you don't have the drag adjusted too tight? Back off the knob on the right side plate (while in freespool) and see if it doesn't change

I'm curious how the frame broke on yours. I'll be using mine to catch bait for sharking but it may serve double duty for live baiting tarpon. That is, if it's not gonna break on me.

I have a couple of the larger models that work fine, and am familiar with the drag adjuster. What happens here is if you adjust the knob so when you come off freespool with barely enough drag to not freespool, then slide the drag to strike,   you have much more drag comparitively than the bigger reels. From there it takes some effort to lock it in full drag and you can definitely feel resistance when you turn the handle.

One thing I did notice from the tutorial is there was no spring under the drag aduster knob on my reel. Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

redsetta

G'day PP,
If it helps, only the Charter Specials (and larger TLDs) have the spring under the drag preload.
There shouldn't be one on the smaller TLDs, ie 5, 10 or 15.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

day0ne

Quote from: Pescatoral Pursuit on February 29, 2012, 01:27:36 AM

I'm curious how the frame broke on yours. I'll be using mine to catch bait for sharking but it may serve double duty for live baiting tarpon. That is, if it's not gonna break on me.

I have a couple of the larger models that work fine, and am familiar with the drag adjuster. What happens here is if you adjust the knob so when you come off freespool with barely enough drag to not freespool, then slide the drag to strike,   you have much more drag comparitively than the bigger reels. From there it takes some effort to lock it in full drag and you can definitely feel resistance when you turn the handle.

One thing I did notice from the tutorial is there was no spring under the drag aduster knob on my reel. Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

The frame didn't break. Someone drilled a hole where the click button went  for an adjustable mag unit and messed it up. A different frame is the easiest fix.

The other thing that will cause what you're seeing (besides a really bad bearing) is the cam isn't in correctly. The reel must be in freespool when the cam is inserted or it will ramp up too quickly. Try removing the drag adjusting knob, the cam and the lever. Then reinstall the lever, and push it down into freespool. Make sure it's all the way down against the stop and holding the button down, then reinstall the cam and knob. See if that helps. If not, then look at the pinion bearing
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Pescatoral Pursuit

Update-

Took the reel to the local shop and was told basically "that's how they roll". Did a little more research on this site, and it seems if I replace the dry canvas drag washer with a greased carbon one, it will allow a little more range.

So now I'm wondering if the bellevilles have to be fiddled with also.

P.S. The bearing seems to be okay.