Carbon Fiber Drag washers

Started by Balvar24, February 26, 2023, 04:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Where do you get them?  Do theY come in common sizes or do you have to cut hour own?  I'm sure they're probably overkill for the fishing I do, but I like to tinker.

I see these mentioned, but never completely understood where people were getting them.

Brewcrafter

If you are looking for a particular specific reel like a DAM I would wait until Fred or Tommy chime in (I know Fred is dealing with weather issues in the Sierras so he may not reply for some days depending on things like electricity and connectivity.
Other than that, try the Smoothdrag website (and Dawn has a section here on the forum) and they have a large number of Carbon drag "kits" for specific reels, but failing that on the website you will also find a chart with a large variety of common sizes of drag washers that you can get separately - measure your existing washers and see what is close.
Don't be afraid that carbon fiber drag is "overkill".  While increased drag numbers are certainly doable, the real benefit with properly greased and installed CF is smoother startup and performance (no "jerkiness) and better durability (they don't dry out and become hard and brittle like old cork, felt or asbestos style friction materials). - john

Milan S

I bought them on AliExpress. I also bought already cut to size, as well as sheets. In terms of quality, they were better than those in Shimano reels. They braked more smoothly, and the braking force was very high.

Maybe the address below can give you some ideas if it is allowed to post such links. If not, have the admins delete it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002903502145.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.15532ba9EZ7d0M&algo_pvid=5fe76cee-8197-4df5-b209-2c43cd299b1b&algo_exp_id=5fe76cee-8197-4df5-b209-2c43cd299b1b-1

alantani

you might find something here.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0

smoothdrag.com would be a better place to check.  just measure your drag washers ahead of time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Open an account with Smooth Drag. Is easy and painless.

She will have kits ready for almost any reel made.

The overseas stuff is not worth it. The carbon material easily rubs off the fiberglass core.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL