285 or 330

Started by cbamer, March 09, 2023, 01:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbamer

$2 at the salvage yard. I was tickled pink to find it. The foot is broken, but it seems to fit ok in some of my reel seats. Drag is smooth, bail flips nicely. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and putting it to use.

I've been reading on the differences between 280,285, 330. And still feel a bit lost. This one has the copper rotor cup, but not the copper side plate. I'd love to find an extra spool so I could have a 20# salt and a 6# fresh ready to go, but am not sure how to identify the correct one. Advice?
Thank in advance!

foakes

Show us some photos from different angles —- and with the spool off.

I will ID for you and send along an extra spool.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbamer

Thanks Fred! I was still reading, trying (and failing) to do it on my own! Also-does that bail look right? I have a 1001 and a 110N from my Dad, but no comparison... Here are the pics, info much appreciated!

cbamer

I alluded to this one in my Welcome" post- a Super that was much worse than the how the seller described it, they he refunded all my money. So, another "free" Dam Quick reel. Is that a break on the foot, or is that how it was made? Someone went to a lot of trouble to grind it...

cbamer

I'm hoping to get a single list of parts for several reels, hoping to save you some time by not having to send out several packages in the post. I'll try to open up my remaining 2 Penn 710s by tomorrow and get you as complete a list as I can. Thank you for being there for all of us. I can't fully express how much I appreciate being able to pull old equipment from the dustbin and bring them back to life, instead of having to buy new plastic junk that will just end up in the trash.

oldmanjoe

I will say in addition to your parts list , post pictures also .
  Fred will see things that you need that won`t be on the list ....   The little things that are easy over looked ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

cbamer

I hear ya Joe! Are those pictures from the right angle(s) to allow for identification?

oldmanjoe

Yes  He will give you the run down shortly .   The 270 foot is strange looking with that cut at the bottom , but there is more ...     8)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

The old Finessa is an early 280, the 285 & 330 have push button spool releases —- this is a screw on drag knob.

The crank is also different, as are a few other unique parts inside —- different from the later 285's and 330's.  There are (4) versions of the early 280/285 Finessas.

The reel needs a new frame, the bail mount is bent —- causing the bail to ride too low —- which will affect proper line-lay on the spool.  Bail mount can be likely straightened —- but better to send you a new one.

The Super needs a new replaceable grey stand —- and the proper stand attachment tapered screw.  The reel has been apart and serviced likely a few times.  No telling what you will find when you crack it open —- but as long as it functions OK now —- it will probably just need a new bail spring and new drags, plus the stand and stand screw.

Someone broke the stand —- then did a pretty good repair by drilling the stem and inserting a rod with JB Weld, I would guess.  I would rather trust a new stand.

If noisy, probably a new bearing for each reel.

That is about all, at first glance.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

The Finessa looks like an old-school goodie. Maybe 1950's. Should have some great heavy-duty design/engineering to it. Like to see pictures if you fully disassemble it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cbamer

I will def post pics when I start the tear down, though probably not for a week or so-still wrestling with the Penn 710s I acquired for the grandkids, which have turned out to be rougher than expected.

cbamer

Family issues and a spring camping trip have kept me away from my reel issues... Starting up again, still trying to have several reels ready for the grandkids to use this spring/summer.

Fred, only if you are in a better space snow-wise and have the time, I'd be happy to start with the parts you recommended above for the finessa and the Super. I'll pm your "list" so you can advise me re: costs etc. I've also got three Penn 710 greenies taken apart and awaiting parts. I'll send info in a pm for those as well. I've managed to cover the entire guest bedroom with old cookie trays full of blown apart redls. Better get going.

foakes

Quote from: cbamer on April 04, 2023, 01:39:54 AMFamily issues and a spring camping trip have kept me away from my reel issues... Starting up again, still trying to have several reels ready for the grandkids to use this spring/summer.

Fred, only if you are in a better space snow-wise and have the time, I'd be happy to start with the parts you recommended above for the finessa and the Super. I'll pm your "list" so you can advise me re: costs etc. I've also got three Penn 710 greenies taken apart and awaiting parts. I'll send info in a pm for those as well. I've managed to cover the entire guest bedroom with old cookie trays full of blown apart redls. Better get going.

Responded in a PM.  We will get you taken care of!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.