Daiwas Magnetic oil

Started by coastalobsession, March 03, 2012, 09:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Squirmypug

Cool stuff, what is it used for?
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

it's used for keeping salt water out of bearings. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastalobsession

Quote from: alantani on March 03, 2012, 10:36:09 PM
Correct me if im wrong. The bearing needs to have a magnet or magnetized field around it?
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

TravHale

Quote from: coastalobsession on March 03, 2012, 11:09:00 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 03, 2012, 10:36:09 PM
Correct me if im wrong. The bearing needs to have a magnet or magnetized field around it?

That appears to be the case. I wonder what the bearing material will be to facilitate the magnetic field.

It looks like they are CRBB bearing-- I guess they have a lower nickel content that allows them to be magnetized?

Edit: Or maybe not.. Looks like the "membrane" is magnetic.

"Mixing a liquid with iron isn't easy, but Daiwa has mastered it in the Certate and Saltiga range. When dispersed evenly through liquid, the iron oxide (magnetite) has a diameter of 1/100,000mm, so small that the surface area of the ferromagnetic particle is around 1/10th of a single influenza virus. This new metallic grease/oil takes on a new effect, placed by itself it forms a typical liquid helical shape with the introduction of a magnetic force it changes shape similar to the android in Terminator II, attaching itself to any other metal to form a seal. So strong is this magnetic liquid that if placed in a container with a magnetic surface it would retain its shape even if the bottom was removed. Being magnetized this lubrication system avoids any friction and prevents dust intrusion, eliminating oil spray and significantly improving reel life expectancy. The challenge for Daiwa was to utilise the inherent benefits of magnetic liquid in reel design. Instead of it being used to dustproof, we needed something that was waterproof. Innovative design combined new CRBB bearings with a magnetic oil membrane and making it possible. Water intrusion is now a thing of the past."

Source: http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=10485

wallacewt

ill have to read this again
ill be back!

Killerbug

"Mixing a liquid with iron isn't easy"

I would dare to say it's high school level chemistry.  Actually you can make magnetic oil yourself, by mixing the toner from an old print cartridge with oil, and then magnetize it.  
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

broadway

Wallace,
  I read it twice and understand about 1/10th of a particle of it... sounds like a fancy marketing tool, but I've never used/ heard of it.  I always thought Iron rusted, shows ya how much I know  :-\
Dom

Jimmer

Last I heard iron oxide is rust , so I guess we won't have to worry about it rusting?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Makule

Where can the magnetic oil be purchased?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Killerbug

Quote from: Makule on March 08, 2012, 06:16:55 AM
Where can the magnetic oil be purchased?

You can make your own very easily

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Irish Jigger

Thank's, Morton very interesting, although I doubt if I can find a use for it in my reels.  Will "stick" with grease. ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 08, 2012, 10:46:26 AM
Thank's, Morton very interesting, although I doubt if I can find a use for it in my reels.  Will "stick" with grease. ;)
X2. Technology is moving too fast for us old timers Tom, besides, I don't want that crap all ove my boat for when it fails.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.