Bakelite

Started by john2244, March 11, 2012, 12:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

What is the best product for restoring the side plates on old reels ???

Bryan Young

What do you mean by restoring?  It leaves a lot to interpretation.

I rub with excess CorrosionX and seems to make sideplates look almost new.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Thanks Bryan for the reply back.

I have purchased some old Penn's dating back to the 30's and 40's and the bakelite side plates are dull.  I am hoping to find a product that will restore the color to some degree and also preserve the material

rjones

Metal polish and a little elbow grease does a pretty good job at shining up side plates
Rob

Keta

I'd leave them like they are
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

drichitt

I have a side plate on an older 114H with some initials etched in them. The initials are very faint and I missed them on my first pass. Do I dare try to take these initials off by buffing them or using some gentle type of abrasive like one of those new "Magic Erasers" ???? They are on the handle side and not near any of the raised Penn lettering.

Alto Mare

High speed tool like a dremel, a buffing wheel and a little wax has worked for me in the past.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

drichitt

Is the affect of this to fill in the scratches or does it actually wear away the upper layer slightly? I was thinking about using a buffer but wasn't sure how to approach and how.

George4741

I bought a orphaned 155 Beachmaster at a yard sale.  The metal parts were in good shape but the sideplates were beat up.  I soaked them in a lye bath (it's what I use to strip grease off cast iron skillets) and they came out with a nice matte finish.  Your mileage may vary.
viurem lliures o morirem

Norcal Pescador

I use Gel Gloss. Takes off the oxidation and makes them look pretty nice.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Nessie Hunter

I would probably try some fine Automotive rubbing compound. 
Shine em right up...... Without taking to much surface off....
Like a Jewelers polish...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

publius

I "think" I have posted this before and has worked well for me. Take the sideplates off and strip of any hardware. Scrub them with Soft Scrub cleanser and a toothbrush under water to remove any dirt and oxidation. Let dry thoroughly (at least 24 hrs.) and soak with Armor All. You may want to let the first coat soak in overnight and repeat. Wipe off excess and reassemble. You now have a good looking reel that will also shed water and fight oxidation better.