Penn 349's

Started by Badhabit, May 15, 2009, 03:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim mcnamara (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Badhabit

Alan  - any chance we will see a drag upgrade kit for the penn 349's? Like the diawa 900h they have a thick 3 stack drag with room to convert to a 5 + 1 stack, but it appears that custom metal washers will need to be cut.

alantani

unlikely.  you can still get a decent 15 pounds of drag out of the 349 with just the stack of three washers.  not bad for a reel that size. 

to get the 900h metal washers cut, i had to make a minimum order of $500 for 500 pieces (300 keyed and 200 eared).  i'm only selling them at cost and have sold 30 so far.  the advantage of the 5-stack for the 900h is that the drag range was bumped from 20 to 35 pounds.  that increase was essential to put the drag range in line with other "9/0" reels. 

to increase the number of drags to 5, there are other options.  at the very least, you MUST have a second eared metal washer.  if you have that, then it can be done.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I had some thin 349H washers cut and opened up the ID of 5 Carbontex #48 washers to .50+ and stuck them in the gear.

Here's the old washers and and the new parts

5+1 349H assembled
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Good job, Lee!  You've carried the 349H drag thing a step beyond what I've done.  I'm sure that it will give you more potential drag than a 6/0.  I'm wondering if it is possible to overtighten the drags on our 349H's to the point that we bend the reel foot, or something else gives? :o  Your thoughts?

BTW thanks again for the drag washers. 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Great Job on the conversion, Lee!
George, Your rod will probably malfunction before the reel if it's juiced up like Lee's is  ;)
Dom

Keta

As soon as the spring washers compress the drag spikes to higher than I want to use for these reels.   I'm looking for a Bellville washer like a 8-115 or 8-116 to put in the 349 drag stack to see if it flatens out the spile in the drag curve.

Yesterday I sanded a set of #63 washers down to the proper OD and 349 #2 has the 5+1 drag now.  Doing the OD is easier on a belt sander but the ID is easier if all you have is a drill or Dremel.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I got some SS Bellville washers for a 113H from Alan and put 2 of them between the star and the spacer, (), and the drag ramps up smoothly now.  I did have to replace all but one of the .060 metal washers with .045 ones to get the Bellvilles in place.  There is still a slight compression when the star is backed off all of the way.

Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on May 30, 2012, 03:06:45 PM
I got some SS Bellville washers for a 113H from Alan and put 2 of them between the star and the spacer, (), and the drag ramps up smoothly now.  I did have to replace all but one of the .060 metal washers with .045 ones to get the Bellvilles in place.  There is still a slight compression when the star is backed off all of the way.

That is something I'll try on my 349's and 113H.
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Fitted mine this morning, with the bellevilles oriented as Lee mentions above.
The outcome? Perfect... ;) ;D
Thanks Lee - much appreciated.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Lee and Justin,
What is the part # for the bellevilles?
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

The Bellville washers are not a Penn part, I think they came from Mc Master-Carr. Penn 70 Bellvile washers will work but they are steel.

Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on June 23, 2012, 12:09:48 PM
The Bellville washers are not a Penn part, I think they came from Mc Master-Carr. Penn 70 Bellvile washers will work but they are steel.

Thank you Lee. 
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

my apologies to badhabit.  he is one of the guys that was accidentally deleted!  it would be nice to get everyone back on board.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Just a real quick and dirty update:  Thanks to the generosity of Lee and Dawn's quick response, one of my 349Hs now has 7+1 drags.  Lee sent two sets of the thin washers he cut and Dawn sent two sets of #59 CF washers.  Lee's washers fit perfectly, and the #59 CF were ID bored and OD reduced (both very easy to do).  The main gear slots were bot ground with a carbide bit to deepen them and that took all of 3 minutes each.  Will take pics and post later.  Will also post drag poundage figures too.  The next upgrade will be to convert to 113H SS gear sleeve.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

George4741

1+7 in a 349H; that's neat stuff!  It should have higher drag numbers than a stock 6/0! :o  I think about where we were several months ago, just trying to get a 1+5 drag in the same reels.  As an old commercial says "you've come a long way, baby". ;D 

Albert, I eagerly await your next report.   

George
viurem lliures o morirem