TLD 10 Assembly

Started by Makule, March 13, 2012, 06:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

While there is no tutorial on the TLD 10, I followed the tutorial for the 15http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/medium/104_0881.JPG and got stuck (literally and figuratively).

In this image form the 15 tutorial, the center shaft is shown with a pin through it that anchors the shaft to the left side plate.

On the other side of the shaft, it shows the drag adjustment lever cog being fitted to the shaft via a square.

I assume that the lever is moved to adjust the drag, but if the cog is connected to the shaft, that is anchored to the left side plate, how can it move?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

G'day Albert, the cog isn't connected to the shaft, just the spool.
The shaft moves laterally as the drag lever actuates.
It might be a bit clearer here:

Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Quote from: redsetta on March 13, 2012, 06:28:00 AM
G'day Albert, the cog isn't connected to the shaft, just the spool.
The shaft moves laterally as the drag lever actuates.
It might be a bit clearer here:

Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin

The shaft goes from the left side plate, into which the shaft fits and is held in position by the pin.  On the crank side, the lever goes on first, next the cog, then the screw adjustment cap.  The cog does fit onto the shaft via a square hole (the shaft is also cut square), and the screw adjustment cap is threaded onto the shaft.  The lever cannot adjust because the shaft is still held in place by the left side shaft pin.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Sorry Albert, I see what you mean now.
I thought you meant the click gear (on the right in the above pic).
The cog you're referring to is also known as the clutch cam.
This doesn't pivot. Rather the lever moves beneath it and forces it outwards.
This pulls the spool right, towards the drag plate, which then pushes against the right-side bearing via the pinion gear.
Hope that helps.

Irish Jigger

I had a similar problem with a TLD15 recently.  I had to clear the hole/slot in the left side of the frame to ensure that the shaft/pin moved freely and laterally within the frame when the drag lever was actuated. Must say it had me thinking for a while before I got it sorted.

wallacewt

hi ij     do you mean keep the slot free of grease

Irish Jigger

Quote from: wallacewt on March 13, 2012, 11:32:15 AM
hi ij     do you mean keep the slot free of grease
No Wallace, I opened the slotted hole up using a drill a couple of thou bigger than the shaft. I fitted the shaft/pin to the slotted hole to ensure that it was a good slide fit and then  rotated it through 180 degrees and tried again as recommended by Alan in his tutorial.

Bryan Young

This system is consider a pull system where the spool is pulled towards the right side plate (via the shaft) to engage the drags via compression of the pressure plate to the drag located in the spool.  this is the reason why the shaft needs to be free and allowed to slide in and out.

The preset moves the pinion gear to the left, moving the pressure plate closer to the drag washer.  the cam as an angle on it so that when the lever is moved, moves the pinion bearing/gear pushing the presure plate to the drag to slow down the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

irish/bryan thanks
ill have a very close look at my fav;reel tld5.
its like me getting old and wants its own way.
perfect 1 day,not so the next.

redsetta

They last well if given a little TLC.
I bought my TLD15 in Sydney in 1986.
I did Alan's full upgrade on it last year (carbontex, bellevilles, handle/arm etc) and it's better than new now - even more so since I TSI'd the spool bearings! ;D
Good luck mate, Justin

Makule

Ok, getting closer to finishing.  Thank you all for the help.

There wasn't any problem with the assembly, but the lack of grease between the lever and clutch cam prevented the lever from turning.

I am now left with "extra" parts.  It seems that they should go just under the clutch cam, but if I put them there, no room is left for the clutch cam to engage the main shaft.  Where are these two supposed to go?

Also, the free spool drags.  The bearings are lubed appropriately, but I wonder if the slotted hole on the left plate is too tight.  Suggestions?

Bryan Young

Are you kidding me?  One is a thrust washer.  Without knowing the size, I'd guess it's one that should be between the bearing and the belleville washers.  The other, I cannot picture it anywhere in the reel (in my head that is).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the big one goes underneath the right spool bearing.  the small one can go any one of several places that are most likely not critical.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Quote from: alantani on March 14, 2012, 03:41:45 AM
the big one goes underneath the right spool bearing.  the small one can go any one of several places that are most likely not critical.

Thank you.  Yeah, I guessed the larger one had to go someplace around there so I just stuck it on the top and it worked.  The smaller one went under the lever.

alantani

actually, yes, it would!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!