Winding machines for reels , what do you have

Started by oldmanjoe, May 16, 2024, 06:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Who has a winding machine , store bought or home made .  What pro and cons do you have to say about the machine ?    I am in the process of building one .  Looking to share ideas on a new concept to make winding easier and more consistent windings .   Pictures will help  .   Glove hand feed or moving sheive feed .  Do you have problems with dig ins from the supply spool with higher drag tension ? How much tension ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rancanfish

I have a couple manual ones, a clamp on type for spinners and a Penn product. Unfortunately I lost part of it and haven't been able to use it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

I picked up a used Triangle winder several years ago when a friend closed his takle shop.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

I am a old school line spooler , prefer to do it by hand ,slow and steady .   I can lay wraps side by side , layer upon layer .   Yes it does take a lot of time to do , and it does build your arm muscles .     Mono line is a piece of cake to spool, lots of round diameter , it`s like reeling up the garden hose on the hose reel .

Braided line is a different animal ,much thinner with no real round diameter .   And you can get a lot more yardage on the reel .   The animal part of braid is you don`t want to be sloppy spooling it from the start .  No piles or waves or criss crossing when spooling , that`s the start of dig ins  and waffling the line .  After watching many people spool reels i can see why there is a problem dig in and back lash with knots from hell .    So i want to take some of the human error out of the equation .  The concept..  Something that wants to level wind it`s self .

Lets see were this goes !

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

quang tran

What's motor you use .Can you add a speed control like sewing machine ?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: quang tran on May 18, 2024, 03:21:04 AMWhat's motor you use .Can you add a speed control like sewing machine ?
It is a ford windshield wiper motor .  The toggle switch on the side of the box is now a high and low speed . Low speed is slow enough , that I did not feel the need for a rheostat .  I will put up a video tomorrow .

I do have a question , does anyone know what this thing is ?   When it was hooked up to the two hot legs , it gave me forward and reverse .  When I removed it , than I got high and low speed.
     The motor is a 3 brush motor .

foakes

That looks like a capacitor, Joe —-

On a DC motor, it stores a charge of voltage very quickly —- and then releases it also just as quickly.

They are used in many electronic applications, and have been useful for years. 

On a DC motor, it overcomes any variation speed or resistance in the rotation of the armatures —- to keep things steady and constant.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on May 18, 2024, 05:04:49 AMThat looks like a capacitor, Joe —-

On a DC motor, it stores a charge of voltage very quickly —- and then releases it also just as quickly.

They are used in many electronic applications, and have been useful for years. 

On a DC motor, it overcomes any variation speed or resistance in the rotation of the armatures —- to keep things steady and constant.

Best, Fred
I kinder understand the capacitor , as in start capacitor .    When it was hooked up ,I got forward on one leg and reverse on the other leg .  At first I though it might be a blocking diode for the park feature for the wipper .   Also noted it was only high speed in both directions .  Once removed than it became high on one leg and low on the other leg .   I was looking at some picture to try to identify the closest I found was a  Varistor ?   This is the first for me with this surprize .  And I didn't make magic smoke .

oldmanjoe

I changed the supply spool arbor to coarse thread rod and dressed the end so i can use a drill to strip line off a reel . All i need to do is loosen the end post nuts so the arbor will spin. 

When I tighten the nuts to the end posts , than I can adjust the supply spool nuts to set drag.   I have been using 10 pounds running 11 pounds startup .   This set up will get cleaned up at a latter date , it`s just a starting point rite now .

That little pulley in the front served it`s purpose , now it`s time to go big .  A compass set at 5 3/4 to draw a circle and make a pulley with a circumference of 36 inches . 
          It will serve two purposes , I can put a counter on it to keeptrack of yardage going on reel .  It will also serve as a brake wheel for the higher drag pressures for the big boys 20-30 pounds ,like a step up brake .

oldmanjoe

;D  At this point I am looking for critical thinkers . I don`t take offence to anything said , I learn from mistakes . Don`t be afraid to pick it apart ,we are here to learn .  Yes it looks like junk yard parts , but until I work out the bugs it`s easier to change designs .

I will put short videos up so as to not make it boring ,but detailed enough to see the little problem that occurs .  When they do pop up ,I do stop to fix it .  If you don`t It will keep getting bigger .

The power head :  2 speeds wiper motor wired with 3 switches . One is the 2 speeds "toggle switch" the coiled wire is a monetary switch used for setting line at the end points . The other switch is for turn on constant speed .

The next video is the base wrap set on the arbor and just machine winding .  Pick the flaw .

Another one later on  .  https:I

boon

I have a "Bees Knees" spooling drag system from Busted Fishing and I would have to say it's the best I've played with so far. No motorised spooler for the reel though, just me cranking away.

It has two issues, though. At very low drag settings, the fill spool spins on the cones instead of the drag spinning, but the spooling tension required in those instances is relatively low anyway.
When spooling with higher drag, I have occasionally had the braid dig into the fill spool. Manufacturers aren't winding those on under much tension.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: boon on May 19, 2024, 10:16:47 PMI have a "Bees Knees" spooling drag system from Busted Fishing and I would have to say it's the best I've played with so far. No motorised spooler for the reel though, just me cranking away.

It has two issues, though. At very low drag settings, the fill spool spins on the cones instead of the drag spinning, but the spooling tension required in those instances is relatively low anyway.
When spooling with higher drag, I have occasionally had the braid dig into the fill spool. Manufacturers aren't winding those on under much tension.
I understand the problem , may I suggest you try a zig zag board after the Bees Knees to create the extra drag you are looking for . you can try different combinations when winding around the pegs for drag . 

boon

That's a novel solution. I'd be a little worried about abrading the line, hmmm. I'd prefer to create drag without using friction on the line itself.

There are in-line drag solutions for spooling that seem like a good idea.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: boon on May 20, 2024, 02:55:49 AMThat's a novel solution. I'd be a little worried about abrading the line, hmmm. I'd prefer to create drag without using friction on the line itself.

There are in-line drag solutions for spooling that seem like a good idea.
I would like to hear more about ,in-line drag solutions for spooling that seem like a good idea.
  I will ask , what the difference when the line goes through the tip top and the guides as far as abrading the line under drag .  Real question , just sharing ideas . 

Maxed Out

I use my electric downriggers. First I put the line onto one downrigger, then under tension, I transfer it to my other downrigger, then adjust the brake so I can hand crank it off the downrigger under tension and onto my reel
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!