Abu Revo Inshore--Problem

Started by TravHale, March 19, 2012, 03:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravHale

Hey guys. I bought a new Revo Inshore and got a chance to test it out a bit over the weekend. I like most things about it, but I have an issue that I was hoping someone here could help with.

When there is tension on the spool it will slowly creep and let line out. Also, I can apply slight counter clockwise pressure to the handle and the reel will let out line in revers. Is it a bad anti reverse bearing? Any ideas?

Here is a quick video that shows the problem.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squirmypug

If the handle turns the wrong way try cleaning out all grease from the anti reverse bearing and lube it with a light oil.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

in the video, it's hard to see if the spool is stationary or if it's a reflection on the spool that is stationary. 

TravHale

It is hard to tell in the video, but the spool is moving and the handle is turning in reverse--the line is not slipping on the spool. The reel did this right out of the box.

alantani

bad AR bearing?  gotta send this one back....   :-\

TravHale

Quote from: alantani on March 19, 2012, 03:27:43 PM
bad AR bearing?  gotta send this one back....   :-\

No chance it's something fixable like too much grease?

Tile

The antireverse bearing is the fault on this reel. Try cleaning it and lubing it with light oil first and if it does the same thing then you should replace it.
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

the handle moves backwards, right?  having an AR bearing fail in a new reel is like having a girlfriend cheat on you a month after you just started dating.  even it you think you've fixed the problem, you can't ever trust it (or her) again.  

Tile

At least the bearing is replaceable and the reel can be used without any problems. For the cheating girlfriend  -  total replacement  :) .

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on March 20, 2012, 01:52:39 AM
the handle moves backwards, right?  having an AR bearing fail in a new reel is like having a girlfriend cheat on you a month after you just started dating.  even it you think you've fixed the problem, you can't ever trust it (or her) again.  
Good analogy Alan,personally I would be more concerned about the bearing. ;)

TravHale

The upside is that at least I know what the problem is. Sometimes they leave you clueless.

Back on topic: Fortunately, there is a shop down the street that does authorized Abu Garcia warranty repair. I think i'll drop it by there this weekend or maybe after work. 

Tile

Jayce

This is one reason I like this Site.
;D ;D ;D

TravHale

I have returned the reel. I'm debating on buying another one or looking into something different. I wasn't impressed with the amount of metal shavings I found inside the casing either.