Anti reverse on 4600

Started by swordfishjunky, March 27, 2012, 06:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordfishjunky

I dropped my ABuU4600CB into the brine the other day and stripped it down to clean it up ad re-grease, but cannot get the anti-reverse to work now. Schematics were to vague to be of much help.. Any ideas?

Norcal Pescador

Have a look at his tutorial:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=67.0
It should be close enough to yours.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

swordfishjunky

Appreciated, but unfortunately the mechanism on the 4600 is very different due to the one handed design.

redsetta

G'day swordfish,
There are a few different versions of the 4600CB, but the AR mechanism should be the same across the range.
Have a look at the inset picture on the first schematic below (ie parts 5134 and 11935), it should help:

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/4600CB%2079-11-00.PDF

The following schematics are also for various 4600s, but the AR is the same...
#11372 in this one:

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/4600CB%2085-2.PDF

And #975041 in this:

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/4600CB%2081-12-01.PDF

The tabs of the AR dog 'clasp' the AR ratchet gear, at the bottom of the handle shaft.
Hope that helps - let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

BigT

When you say that you can't get it to work, do you mean that the anti reverse doesn't engage? Does the handle turn in both directions?

I believe that the 4600CB has an AR dog and not an AR bearing doesn't it?... It's possible that the dog hasn't been positioned properly on assembly or that it may have been damaged (the copper integrated dog 'spring' can easily get bent if not handled carefully).

Can you post a pic?

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Abu used the CB initials twice, on two completely different reel types.  The original CB was a self centering levelwind that didnt have an infinite ani reverse.  But I dont think they were offered with a thumbar a.k.a. a 4600.
The other CB just designated that it was made special order for Cabelas and is a standard C3 mechanically. 

swordfishjunky

Thank you all.. I will check out the schematics and take it apart again when I get back home tomorrow and post some picks if I am still hang problems..  Currently the handle turns both ways and I guess the anti reverse is just not engaging...

Ken_D

Sounds a lot like the leaves of the a/r dog are either spread out too far to keep the driveshaft close, or both leaves above or below the driveshaft, instead of straddling as per above post.

A reminder to engage casting mode before you re-install the transmission side to the frame. The pin on the thumb bar likes to be able to fit inside the crescent cut-away for it, on the brake plate. I use a small screwdriver, others engage casting before affixing brake plate to sideplate.

swordfishjunky

Thanks again to all. I just stripped the reel down again and there appears to be too much play where the dog mounts on its pin, which causes it to seat underneath the AR gear.

Here are a couple of photos, in case it helps identify the problem... I really like using this little reel and have had some great fun with it over the years, but cannot take anymore wrapped knuckles! The serial # on the reel foot is 800900 if that also helps..

redsetta

G'day swordfish,
The tabs on the AR dog look crushed.
It's likely to have popped off the ratchet before the side plate was replaced, and been crushed as the drag was tightened.
Either buy a new AR dog, or gently spread the tabs (just a fraction) with a small flat-head screwdriver.
Mount the AR dog on the ratchet gear before sliding it down the handle shaft.
Once the sleeve and dog are mounted, check it's engaging by turning the gear sleeve backwards - the tabs should 'clasp' the ratchet and 'pull' the dog towards the gear teeth.
If you spin it forwards, the dog will jump off the gear again.
Once it's aligned and engaging, don't touch the sleeve/gear again until the side plate is back on, as the side plate stops the dog jumping off the ratchet.
Hope that helps.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin

swordfishjunky

Thank you Redsetta and everyone else who helped, it worked a treat and is 100% again! As you said the tabs had been crushed, I managed to carefully pry them open a little and re-seat them on the gear! The internet is such a great tool!

redsetta

Good to hear - now it's time to catch some fish!
Cheers, Justin

swordfishjunky

I should have added that the power of the internet is meaningless without helpful guys like you behind it! Thanks again!

Bryan Young

Glad you got it working again.  A note to everyone, I find it helpful that when before I put the side plate on, I check to make sure that the pawl is seated on the anti-reverse plate and sold the shaft in a backwards motion to keep the pawl seated tight.  this will help to keep the pawl in place when putting the reel back together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D