Abu Garica 6500 c3 2 speed

Started by KemaZhu, March 29, 2012, 02:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KemaZhu

Hey Everybody,

i am new here and need some help from the experts on this site.  i recently purchased a 6500 c3 2 speed reel off but it seems like the drag is not tight at all, even if i turn the star drag all the way.  i did some research and it seems like it could caused by excess grease or oil on the drag washers. but i can't find a tutorial on how to take a part the 2 speed and it seems quite more complicated than the regular c3.

any suggestions?

thanks!

Irish Jigger

KemaZhu

Thanks. I actually did follow the directions of that post but didn't fix the problem.  I am not sure if my drag washers are bad or maybe it is something else. Plus I have the 2 speed model, the internals are a bit different and I think it has two sets of drag washers. So I am not sure what to do.

Irish Jigger

KemaZhu

Thanks for the link and the help. But the reel I have it has the regular star drag and it also has an auto shift drag where it shifts to a lower gear ratio depending on the pull power I think. Anybody has any idea why the drag would be slipping?

BigT

The reel you're describing is a Syncro model. I've never opened a 6500 version but the drag system should be similar to the 7000. Here's a link...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1027.0

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

KemaZhu

maybe a picture would help. thanks for the help again guys. 

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

KemaZhu

ah thanks man.  the last linked was the one i am looking for. i opened her up and found that there are lot of grease/oil in between the drag washers. is that normal? i wiped them down and tried my best to put every back together and the drag was still the same.  now i am stumped.  i called Alan today and hopefully he will give me a call back and we can set something up this weekend. 

thanks for all the help guys!

Ken_D

These are nice reels.

KemaZhu

O wow thanks for the detailed post. I opened her back up again and did find the small spring. But the other two parts are harder to find. Maybe the previous owner lost it and didn't care to tell me. Do you know the part number of those parts? Thank you so much.

Ps. Typically how long does it usually take for Alan to respond. I called and left a message, I PMed him and emailed him still haven't gotten a response. I understand he is busy but I am wondering how long it usually takes.

Thanks again for all the help!

Irish Jigger

Alan's chaperoning a school trip to Yosemite all this week.

Ken_D

These are nice reels, just a little awkward to deal with.

alantani

thanks for covering, guys.  so the two speed abu is a little tricky to work on.  first question, though.  any possibility that you have spectra slipping on the spool? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KemaZhu

Hey Alan, welcome back. The reel is spooled with mono so it is not spectra slipping.