Abu Garica 6500 c3 2 speed

Started by KemaZhu, March 29, 2012, 02:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

thanks.  got 200 e-mails, 50 pm's and all of these posts to catch up on.     does the handle get more difficult to turn when you crank down on the star?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KemaZhu

wow that's lot of catch up to do haha.  and to answer your question, yes it does. as i tighten up on the star drag,  the handle gets harder to turn.

alantani

sounds like the star is bottoming out.  when you crank down on the star to increase the drag, it might be rubbing against the side plate.  another shim washer of some sort might be the answer.  did someone open up the reel before?  it should not be doing that if the drag and washer stack is the same. 

KemaZhu

I see. I did purchase this reel second hand so that could be a possibility. Also I did open up the reel myself. Maybe I did something wrong.

alantani

another metal washer might do the trick, but these reels are no fun to work on.   :-\

KemaZhu

I see. Will you be free anytime soon to work on the reel? And I would like to put the carbontex washers in. Should I order some myself or do you have extras?

Thanks

alantani

i have the washers already.  go ahead and ship the reel out anytime.  it will be a while before i can get to it, though.  alan

KemaZhu

Hey Alan and Jim

Thanks for the great job you have done on my reel. It is awesome. I just have 1 question, does my reel have instant anti reverse? Cuz ever since I got the reel, I am able to reel backwards just a bit. Not sure if that's normal cuz they don't have the technology yet or it is something else. I tried to search online but since it is a pretty rare reel, I couldn't find any definite answer. So please let me know.

Thanks

alantani

the ones i worked on never did.  jim serviced this one, so we will have to wait for his answer, but i think the answer is no.

Buddyboy

KemaZhu,

I have the same reel with the same problem.  What did you do to fix the drag?

Bryan Young

I just serviced three of them and all three have silent dogs and no ARBs.

Drags, I replaced them with HT-100s and greased them up with Cal's.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Hi, folks.... instant anti-reverse was not installed in the Abus until later.

The 2-speed's a/r dog (as can any of the abu round reels using the dog) can be modified to ~approximate~ iar, by shimming the sideplate at the dog contact point, limiting its outward travel, before it comes back to make reverse.

A little disk of leather either cut from a shoe, or a pool cue tip is about right. Use contact cement to affix the disk on the sideplate behind the dog.  Don Iovino has a web page, and he may share his shim secrets, he may not.
There are other ways, but the leather disk is fast, effective, and affordable.

Buddyboy

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to the 6500 C3 2-3peed and I found and followed this thread (thanks for sharing the knowledge). I have a similar problem to KemaZhu in that the drag doesn't want to tighten no matter how much I crank down on the star wheel. The star wheel is not bottoming out on the case as far as I can tell. I've had it apart a dozen times now, installed new parts and can't seem to fix it. I have the schematics and 2-speed instructions from Abu.  Everything looks right. Driving me nuts. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bryan Young

Buddy,

There are a couple of things that I can think of that could be the problem. 

1)  Does the reel shift gears?  Sometimes that sliding shaft gets stuck and binds, and no matter how hard you crank down on the star, the drag does not engage.

2) Your drag washer is not thick enough.  without the right thickness in drag washers, you will have a metal to metal contact between the pressure plats and the gear, thus limiting the drag.

I need to take the reel apart again to look further, but I think these could be the problem if my memory services me well.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Quote from: Buddyboy on February 11, 2013, 05:37:55 PM
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to the 6500 C3 2-3peed and I found and followed this thread (thanks for sharing the knowledge). I have a similar problem to KemaZhu in that the drag doesn't want to tighten no matter how much I crank down on the star wheel. The star wheel is not bottoming out on the case as far as I can tell. I've had it apart a dozen times now, installed new parts and can't seem to fix it. I have the schematics and 2-speed instructions from Abu.  Everything looks right. Driving me nuts. Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you crack the driveshaft, being careful not to lose that little retaining pin? There's another washer after you do that.  20171, little pin 20715

http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Abu%20Garcia/1996/6500c3-2%200103.pdf