What reels to leave behind with Costa Rica panga fishermen?

Started by Westii, April 01, 2012, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Good job.  Lots of good men and women on this site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 08, 2013, 02:57:07 AM
awesome, thanks for the follow up post.

x2!   westii i know this is off topic but how's the cedros sd doing?

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jimmer

Thanks Westii, it leaves me with a warm feeling knowing that old reel is being put to good use, maybe Jose can wear the little remaning chrome off in the next 60 years. Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Westii

Quote from: Mel B on January 08, 2013, 12:22:40 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on January 08, 2013, 02:57:07 AM
awesome, thanks for the follow up post.

x2!   westii i know this is off topic but how's the cedros sd doing?

Hi Mel.  I didn't bring the Cedros SD on this trip.  It's still one of my favorite reels, but I haven't been able to really test it on big fish yet.

steelfish

Quote from: Westii on January 07, 2013, 10:30:56 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought I would close the loop on this one.  I got home from my Costa Rica trip yesterday.  I fished with a great panga fisherman named Jose out of Cabuya, Costa Rica.  As soon as I saw his boat and gear I knew he was the right one to get the donated gear.  He had a couple of very old, beat up rods with extensive (bad) work on them.  One had a crusty old TLD 25 on it and the other had a Daiwa Sealine X in similar condition.  I had brought down some gear with me including a Stingray travel rod, several of my own reels (TLD 20, TLD 25, Penn Long Beach 60) and a Penn 114 donated by Jimmer.  I also brought down a box full of trolling lures, feathers, rapalas and some miscellaneous tackle.  Using my gear, I fished with Jose for 3 days in a row and caught some nice fish, including a 28kg (61lb) bull dorado (will post a picture later).  My son also hooked a marlin that was estimated to be about 10-12 feet long, but the 40 pound test leader we were using for dorado didn't last long.  It was exciting to see it jump though when we had it on the line.

Anyway, I ended up leaving Jose with Jimmer's 114, the Long Beach 60, the TLD 25, Stingray travel rod, new fighting belt and all of the lures and misc tackle I brought down with me.  Although some of this gear is available in Costa Rica, it is very expensive.  Jose told me that he saved up some money and bought a Rapala magnum lure which cost him $44.  I had one with me exactlly like it that I think I paid $16-$18 for at Bass Pro Shop.  Jose was extremely thankful for all the gear and I know it will help him tremendously.  He fishes for a living and has a wife and 3 small kids to support.  He also told me that he took out a loan to purchased his old, tired boat. :(  Hopefully, it still has a fair amount of life left in it.

You Penn fans will appreciate this.  Jose seemed to be most happy with the Long Beach 60.  It was in pristine condition and I didn't tell him this, but I think I got it on eBay for about $25.  I upgraded the drags to greased carbon fiber, gave it a good servicing and spooled it with 20lb mono.  Jose said it would be very expensive in Costa Rica.  He catches a lot of football sized tuna and smallish mackerel, so the 60 should serve him well on those.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this and to Jimmer for the 114.

Rick

very old post, and the OP is no longer active in the forum.
but I bet Jose is still using the long beach 60, 114 and tld 25 up to these days..

a lot stories like that one on many zones in Mexico, giving a usable reel to a panguero is one of the best gifts he can recieve ever.

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

You guys know what nugget I pulled from reading this thread?

Doc Tani nailed it again suggesting the 60!  Jose loved it the most.

Genius intuition in modest disguise.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Old post but the spirit is timeless,
Hope someone posts an update on Jose some day.

twotone

Old thread Ive not seen. For the money Tld 20-2 speed , 30 2 speed ' TLD 15 or 20.  Per friends request (Panga charter) a W Palm, FL cracker that has live their 14 yrs . Using as stock they last a long time with some care. Longevity matters in Centro AM.
twotone

handi2

When my son went there about 10 years ago he left them 2 Penn 706 spinning reels. They were overjoyed..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL