Smooth drag install failed....

Started by agdodge4x4, May 02, 2012, 02:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agdodge4x4

I have a 6500 reel called a "Black Max"...(reel foot 13 00)

I took out the 3 20907 and 1 13169 stock washers and replaced it with the ones in kit 5500CA.  Upon re-assembling, the reel is very very difficult to turn with the handle.  It free spools without issue when the button is depressed.  I took it apart 3 times and greased and re-installed.  No luck.  Upon putting the stock drags back in, dry....it works without issue.

What is the deal???

I have installed this kit in my 6500C3 and C4 without any problems. HELP! 

borchcl

Wish I could help. I just did 3 of those reels using Carbontex set #055 without issue. Chances are something is out of place. Make sure the "eared" metal washer is staying engaged in grooves in main gear.
borchcl

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_Black_Max_6600_03_00.pdf

agdodge4x4

Nope.  Ears are seated properly.  Its almost like the washers are too thick.  THey are thicker than stock, but not much.  When the star drag is put on, there is simply too much resistance to reel it smoothly.

OK...Its somehow related to the anti-reverse dog.  When that is removed..the problem disappears.  Ideas?

borchcl

Have you tried assembly W/O one or both of the belleville springs? Can you tell if the drag stack is rubbing it inside of the side cover? Does the side cover fit W/O have to compress the stack? About all I can think of. Good luck.
borchcl

agdodge4x4

The problem is that the copper ears on the antireverse dog dig into the space between the gear and the drag washer.  The stock drag washer is slightly smaller than the 5500CA smooth drag washers.

SO.....what's the fix...different kit??

Bryan Young

If the OD of the drag washer is a little too big, just sand it down with sand paper or a file going around and around until it's the right OD.  We do that all of the time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Smooth drag has a smaller washer for ABU reels with dogs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Are you saying you are using replacement washers for a 5500CA in your Black Max?  Black Max being a completely different reel design, could that be your problem?

agdodge4x4

Yes.  But this is not a "black max" like you're thinking.  It's a regular 6500 reel, dubbed the black max.  Its nothing like the current black max models though.  This looks exactly like the 6500's you're used to seeing.  Marketing must have been playing with advertising or something.

Ken_D

You could trim the washer you got, to the size of the 13169, or leave the original 13169 in place.  IMO, It's more of a spacer than a drag washer.

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/BLACKMAX6500%201300.pdf is the black max 6500 style.  

agdodge4x4

Thats interesting. Was that a asian or Australian domestic market model?  The Black Max I know is the step down from the Pro Max and pre dates the Morrum.