trinidad 30

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Hello Alan,

I see that you grease the drive shaft bearing on the handle side of the reel that is right next to the ARB. 

On the other tutorial, the person cleaned the grease out the drive shaft bearing and used a light corrosion X oil.

For this drive shaft bearing....Is it better to use grease? or corrosion X oil?

Bryan Young

Aloha Franky,

I pack that bearing with grease.  That bearing gets a lot of exposure to the elements even with that micro-thin shield that is provided next to the bearing.  I pack that with grease and clean off all of the excess so that nothing gets pushed into the anti-reverse bearing.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

x2 on Bryan's post - those bearings take a hammering from the elements.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

franky

Thanks guys for the fast response. 

I'll get on it ASAP!  :)

Bryan Young

Aloha Franky,

Do you have a bearing packer?  I'll call you later.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

No, I actually had not seen one in action. 

Bryan Young

I'll see if we can post a video of how these work and will also have some when I'm in Hawaii in March.

tristo

hi im about to service my trinidad 30 and replace the drag with carbontexmy question is i use the the to cast 85gram metal lures from the rocks i noticed you removed the brakes will this enhance my casting ability in distance casted or should i just leave them in
cheers tristan

Bryan Young

I personally would take them off, but if you have issues casting like I do, and of I was smart, I'd leave them on so I would reduce my back lash.

wallacewt

hi tristo
off the rocks id leave them in
out of the boat i take mine out
small baitcasters dont matter(accuracy/30m)
there is no right or wrong,some guys are better than others
cheers

tristo

thanks for the answers

erikpowell

Bula gang....
This is regarding a Trinidad 50 ... ( double dogs in this one) that needs to be back on the boat in 2 days and no time to order up carbontex this time around.... but will get around to it on the next go.

Do you grease the stock Dartanium ( seem like plastic to me ) drag washers??  ??? i' would assume yes, but thought i'd check in anywayz...
Thanks
Erik

Bryan Young

Quote from: erikpowell on September 16, 2012, 08:13:22 AM
Bula gang....
This is regarding a Trinidad 50 ... ( double dogs in this one) that needs to be back on the boat in 2 days and no time to order up carbontex this time around.... but will get around to it on the next go.

Do you grease the stock Dartanium ( seem like plastic to me ) drag washers??  ??? i' would assume yes, but thought i'd check in anywayz...
Thanks
Erik

Bula Erik,

The stock Dartanium drags are normally greased with Shimano Drag Grease.  so the answer is YES.  Watch out, they break very easily.

Bryan

Simon Anderson

Bryan / Alan, you mention greasing with Shimano Drag Grease.

Is this a Graphite Grease?

I have learnt that Cals (Carbontex grease) will not 'work' with Dartanium washers!  ???

Correct me if wrong, is Graphite Grease not the same as universal joint (CV) grease?  ???

Why...I serviced my Shimano DC30 and found the 'blackness' associated with graphite grease present on the drag washers.
I have and am still battling to make sure that graphite grease is the same as CV Joint grease.
However I have replaced the washers with Carbontex and Cals grease smeared on them bar one (the lowest washer, which is Daratanium)

Drag works fine, I have not measured its power.

Thanks for your input guys.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Keta

Quote from: Simon Anderson on December 15, 2012, 03:03:20 PM
Bryan / Alan, you mention greasing with Shimano Drag Grease.

Is this a Graphite Grease?

I have learnt that Cals (Carbontex grease) will not 'work' with Dartanium washers!  ???

Correct me if wrong, is Graphite Grease not the same as universal joint (CV) grease?  ???

Why...I serviced my Shimano DC30 and found the 'blackness' associated with graphite grease present on the drag washers.
I have and am still battling to make sure that graphite grease is the same as CV Joint grease.
However I have replaced the washers with Carbontex and Cals grease smeared on them bar one (the lowest washer, which is Daratanium)

Drag works fine, I have not measured its power.

Thanks for your input guys.

The "blackness" from the old Dartanium drag washers is the drag washer material mixed with grease.
Drag grease should be high temperature teflon based.  I've used Cal's on Dartanium (not Dartanium II CF washers) for years with no issues.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain