TLD 30 -- worth upgrading or start over?

Started by sierra395, June 10, 2012, 04:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sierra395

Hello,
I purchased a TLD 30 like new for $50 a while back and forgot about the reel.  I have an HX and a Penn 15KG that seem to work OK for fishing 60-100 with 20#s of drag.  Now for the question, is it worth upgrading the TLD 30 with the metal topless frame and side plate kit from Accurate or should I just call it a day and use it until the frame cracks?  I love the free spool on the TLD 30s and the castablity?  Not aware of better casting 2 speed reels, but I'm just not knowledgable about the 80-100# tackle.  Fish this on a SS  1x3. Forgot to mention that I plan to use this for heavy bait and long soak applications with braid and a flouro top shot.

Thanks,

Ed

john2244

Several years ago I upgraded a Shimano TLD 30 with the Tiburon frame, special bearings, sleeve, upgraded Tiburon handle and it was a great reel.  Today, if I wanted the same reel I would look for a good used reel with all of the upgrades.  I have seen many of them for sale the last couple of years for a very fair price.  For the money it would cost to do all the upgrades I think there are better options available.
John

day0ne

Since you only paid $50 for the reel, I would say go for it. I love my upgraded TLD 20's and 30's. For A total of around $250 (including the price of the reel) you can upgrade the frame and sideplate and  add a better drag plate. I don't know of any reel that compares to it for that price. This is new pricing. I have found deals that are better, so look around. BTW, Accurate doesn't make frames for these reels. Tiburon and Willfish do. Also, save some money for a better handle
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

john2244

Sierra,

What type of "heavy bait" fishing are you planning to do with this reel ????

alantani

no, even with a frame, you still have a graphite side plate, meaning the anti-reverse dog could be ripped out of the side plate.  this reel is good for straight 60# mono and 18 pounds of drag.  if you want to fish 80-100 pounds, you have to get a reel with an all-aluminum chassis. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!