Curado 201e7 sticky handle grips

Started by seabass_seeker, June 12, 2012, 06:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seabass_seeker

I received a Curado 201e7 that has sticky handle grips. It's as though the rubber has slightly melted or reacted with a sunscreen/bug repellant and feels sticky to the touch. I tried rinsing it with dish soap and rubbing it with alcohol but no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

Also does shimano sell replacement knobs for this reel? The complete handle is $40. I'm a bit hesitant to just buy ReelGrips because of the oversized paddle knobs, I'm unsure if they'll fit.

alantani

i have a small one from another reel that i can send to you to look at.  the plastic is hard, not soft.  the knobs are pretty small.  it may not work, but it might at least be worth trying.  send a pm with your address and i will send it out.   alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jayce

Hi,

I have the same issue on my curado 201e7 also.  I noticed when I first used it it was fine but after a few months here in china it started to get sticky like you described.   My first guess was some oil, grease (from my cleaning) have contaminated the rubber but my other reels like the Citica or conquest did not have the issue.  Seems like the material on the curado knobs and the hot, humid weather here have some effect on the material.  I saw this similar case on other rubber materials on my other stuff (camera, laptops) before with the same sticky feeling.

Try to find some guys who always "pimp" their reels they swap the stock parts for pimping.  They usually sell the stock parts cheap.

Strewth

Quote from: seabass_seeker on June 12, 2012, 06:33:23 AM
I received a Curado 201e7 that has sticky handle grips. It's as though the rubber has slightly melted or reacted with a sunscreen/bug repellant and feels sticky to the touch. I tried rinsing it with dish soap and rubbing it with alcohol but no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

Also does shimano sell replacement knobs for this reel? The complete handle is $40. I'm a bit hesitant to just buy ReelGrips because of the oversized paddle knobs, I'm unsure if they'll fit.

It's the DEET in bug repellant that does it. The septon grips on the Calais reels are particularly prone to this problem, and it is hard to fix. Only solution is to keep the stuff of your hands with a towel.

I managed to buy replacement knobs from Japan. The 201E7 knobs are the same as the Scorpion 1501 knobs, but the cost of shipping might make the saving small.

Pro Reel

Almost all of the septon grip reels I clean have the same problem. Use some denatured alcohol and a rag to wipe them off and they will be fine again.

Danhans

thanks Pro Reel,
im having the same problem with my calcutta 100B..it started to get sticky after about 3 years..
been using those sticky knobs for about a year because i dont have any idea on how to fix it  ;D

Pro Reel

I also think that any good cleaner might work just as well. If you don't have denatured just try a strong cleaner like goo gone or a degreaser. It just takes a little scrubbing to get the sticky stuff off.

seabass_seeker

Thanks for the offer alan but I found out the lefty handle is specific in that it's counter threaded. After some normal use it's not so bad anymore. I will try denatured alcohol but already did Goo Gone to no avail. Thanks guys for all the info!

Another reason I wont use shimano any more. Every septon grip gets that way with me. Shimano's "Bantam" , the rep that posts on tackletour and larry dahlberg, told me theyve never had a problem with that and never heard any one else have that issue.  Denatured alcohol didnt work for me, only made it degrade worse and the rubber could be rubbed off the surface after that.  Shimano suggest I buy reel grips the aftermarket slip ons.  I never use Deet, any kind of insect repellant or any oil other than Shimanos own light oil.  So what causes it may be something other than what other people have experienced.

Nessie Hunter

I have had older Abu Cardinal spinner handle dissolve on me also..
No Idea what did it, but couldnt stop it once it started... :-(
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!