Aluminum without anodizing?

Started by JasonF, June 12, 2012, 07:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

Removing colored anodizing from aluminum parts is easy.  A 15 minute bath in Greased Lightening and you have a silver part.  After the color is gone would the part be susceptable to corrotion?  If so, is there a means of protecting it without adding color?  I am just curious because I want to make a relatively expensive gold part turn silver.  Cheers! J

Dave RI

Jason ,

If you do remove the anodizing it will allow the salt air to corrode the aluminum , the anodizing if done right will stop the air from getting to the aluminum , try some different searches on line for a clear coat of some sort , just rememebr what ever you end up putting on there watch for buildup of that material these reels are built to close tolerences as you know . Good Luck !!

Dave 

Keta

Aluminum oxidizes extremely fast and removal of the protective coating is not a good idea, powder coating will protect the metal if you have to remove the anodizing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

And. Powder coat comes in clear as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

If it's an expensive part, have it silver anodised professionally and it will be a joy to behold. ;)

Bryan Young

If you find a place to anodize the spool, please let me know.  I want a frame to get re-anodized in silver, include the reel seat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 12, 2012, 03:47:17 PM
If you find a place to anodize the spool, please let me know.  I want a frame to get re-anodized in silver, include the reel seat.

There is an anodizing shop in Albany, OR that has done good work for my brother at fairly reasonable price. I have to be in Eugene to watch my youngest daughter graduate on Monday, do you want me to see if they can do a reel frame in silver

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Please.  they may need to strip the existing anodization.

Actually, I don't really care what color it is, so if they want to stick it in a color that they are already anodizing, that would be cool.  If that is the case, I'll send the frame, star, handle arm and reel seat.

If it's a cool color, like blue, I may send more...lol

Bryan

Keta

Wait until I talk to the owner, It's been 6 or so years and I'm not real sure they are still in buisness. Albany is between Eugene and Monmoth and we plan on staying at my son's place there.

Mark Twain

Dominick

If you buff up aluminum to shine like chrome, it will not corrode.  Of course you have to wash off the salt after exposure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

exposed alumimum will form a micro thin layer of aluminum oxide that is supposed to protect the actual aluminum, which is hard and tough (like your aluminum oxide fishing guides).  The problem is when there's salt...

JasonF

Quote from: Irish Jigger on June 12, 2012, 03:31:55 PM
If it's an expensive part, have it silver anodised professionally and it will be a joy to behold. ;)

That would be ideal, but I cannot find an anodizer to do such a small job.  It is not that the part is that expensive, i paid $125, it is that they are hard to find.  It is a 9/0 Accuframe that is gold.

Bruce

Try Boeshield,just what it`s developed for.

buzz
Buzz

suitekids

Quote from: Buzz on June 12, 2012, 09:31:02 PM
Try Boeshield,just what it`s developed for.

buzz

Boeshield is good stuff for aluminum, Developed by Boeing Aircraft for protection on aluminum parts in thier airliners, I live close to the ocean and I always used it on my aluminum sliding glass doors and tracks, kept them sliding and corrosion free for years..Dan