Replacing / upgrading my trolling reels - what is best option ?

Started by Jedgar, July 24, 2009, 03:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedgar

Need to upgrade or replace my trolling reels.  We troll off central Florida east coast, so we're talking mostly mahi and wahoo, with a big fish being 50 lb.  Biggest on my boat has been an 87 lb wahoo.  We use 30 lb line on stand-up rods and the reels I have are 2 each old TLD 25s and 2 each old TLD 30s (all completely stock, 1990 vintage).

Options I'm considering are:

1.  Rebuild/service/lube the TLD 25s and 30s that I have with carbontex drag washers and bigger crank handles.  This would probably cost me in the neighborhood of $300-400 parts and my labor.

2.  Buy two new TLD30IIA and sell the 25s.  I think I could live with the newer style crank handles on the 30IIAs.  Rebuild my two old 30IIs with bigger crank handles.  This would probably cost me in the neighborhood of $500, plus my labor.   

3.  Buy 4 new Penn GLD 30s and sell the 4 TLDs.  Don't think (from reading your threads) that the GLDs need much of anything as far as upgrades (other than a good lube job) before I start fishing them.  I like the stock crank handles on the GLDs and the fact that I'd end up with 4 matched reels.  This would probably cost me in the neighborhood of $400-500.

Do you think there is any big advantage of the TLD30IIs over the GLD30s (other than the 2 speed, which I've used very infrequently) ?

Any other options you might suggest in this price range ?

Any advise will be appreciated.  Thanks