POWELL PIC

Started by HOLEINTHEWATER, June 22, 2012, 07:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

Around here, those guys take over the marina's, poop all over the boats, raid the bait coolers, (they figure out how to open them), and make a general mess of you boat it you leave anything that even remotely smells like there's food in it, but they look cute.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

I believe we  need a recipe section. Alan/Bryan?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

WE DEFINITELY NEED A RECIPE SECTION  :D

We've all heard the saying: one man's bitter is another man's sweet.  Just knowing how to prepare fish makes "junk" fish a real "treat".  I ran into two guys from Thiland/Vietnam who worked at a family restauraunt that told me they had a great recipe for Bonito; and all I had ever heard was "they dont taste good". 
Ive heard the same for Barracuda, and another guy decades ago turned me on to preperation and cooking recipe and when I got back home I fired up both grills in the condos where I lived at the time and fed all 20 units.  Everyone was asking what kind of fish is it this time Leo; this tastes terrific.  When I told them it was Barracuda, they all said that they never heard that barracuda was good to eat. Long story short; I only ate a little pinch to sample and everyone else in my condo complex was grubbing-down and cooking all the extras and we all ate great meals (except me, no barracuda).

If you want my Barracuda recipe then we need a recipe section.  STAY TUNED  ::)

Leo

Bryan Young

Still working on it.  We want to have a good title and not just the plain old "receipe" section.  Stand by, it will be up before you know it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dave Bentley

Only believe that which you know to be true.

LTM

Thanx Bryan, I know you guys plates are full.  Look forward to it.

Leo

HOLEINTHEWATER

NOW THE FILLETING STARTS.

I SEE THE LIGHT.

Irish Jigger

Lovely, thanks for sharing.

Bill B

The goal is 5 million pounds per year!  That is an incredible amount of fish for one lake. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

HOLEINTHEWATER

FIRST OFF I'M A TERRIBLE RIGHTER AND IF IT WASN'T FOR SPELL CHECK I WOULD BE IN DEEP POP.
I GOT AN EMAIL CONCERNED ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF STRIPERS  CAUGHT.  POWELL IS A DIFFERENT LAKE THAN ANY PLACE. STRIPERS REPRODUCE IN POWELL IN THE MILLIONS. WAYNE, THE FISH BIOLOGIST SAYS TO KEEP EVERY FISH YOU CATCH TO HELP THE LAKE OUT.  TO FIND OUT ABOUT LAKE POWELL, GO TO WAYNESWORDS.COM AND ENJOY.
I WOULD LIKE TO SOME OF YOUR CATCHES AND PLACES THAT YOU FISH.

HAVE A GOOD DAY
DAVE

alantani

i have had filled ice chests full of fish on rare days.  there are a couple of "guidelines" that pretty much everyone adhere's to anyway, so here goes.....

- the catch has to be taken legally according to the local rules and regulations.  no posting of illegal catches, unless it is subsequent to an arrest.

- the catch can not be wasted.  if you are going to take a legal limit of fish and then throw it in a dumpster, i do not want to hear about it.

- if the catch is taken legally, properly handled, and then served up for dinner (sooner or later), then i do not believe that criticism is in order.  

on a good rock cod day, we can land 10 rockfish each.  five of us can legally take 50 rockfish.  these fish are iced, scaled, gutted, gilled and put back on ice and then shared among friends and neighbors.  the are given to people that we know appreciate fresh rockfish and will savor every bite.  easily 20 families get to partake.  i do not believe that any of these are ever even frozen.  i think everyone here is consciencious and responsible.  just remember that the standards for a community can vary, country to country, even state to state.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

QuoteFIRST OFF I'M A TERRIBLE RIGHTER...
That may be true, but you sure know how to take a cracker photo! ;) ;D
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

seaeagle2

I cut and pasted this from the Utah regs, looks like he's in the clear, I don't see an endangered fish in that cooler.  That might be the picture that gets my wife to hit Lake Powell for stripers (we did stripers on the Sacramento years ago)

STRIPERS NO LIMIT

Keep all stripers caught, especially the small ones to keep the population in balance with the forage base. Immediately put stripers on ice in a cooler and fillet them as soon as possible for excellent eating. The best method of keeping striped bass for the freezer is to vacuum seal fillets before freezing.

ENDANGERED FISH: RELEASE IMMEDIATELY, POSSESSION NOT ALLOWED.

Colorado pikeminnow (Squawfish), razorback sucker, humpback chub, bonytail chub, flannelmouth sucker.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

franky

Congratulations holeinthwater for a super catch.

Those fish are good size and wonderful for the dinner table.  Btw, how do you folks cook them? Fried fillets, oven baked, or steamed?

Oh, and that picture of the sun ray coming down from the clouds....awesome.  Looks like you would find that in a religious bookstore with some words of wisdom scribed in the backgroud.  :)

broadway

I was the one who questioned the amount of stripers and small ones' at that. I didn't wanna make a big stink so I PM'ed Dave.  Thanks for clearing that up, and glad you had a good day on the water.  If you guys ever read any books on the bass massacres in the 70's and 80's that lead to the 90's moritorium... pretty sad story.  Seeing that cooler with so many shorts reminded me of those days when I caught 1 striper over a 3 year period  :'(
It makes sense due to the lack of draggers, clammers, scallop boats, etc. running through Lake Powell  >:(
Now I know where all the short stripers in Chinatown come from ;)
Tight lines,
Dom