Questions on Upgrading Spheros 14K FB and 18K FB

Started by ak555, June 24, 2012, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak555

Spheros Drive Shaft Bushing Replacement with Bearing

I was reading online about people replacing the drive shaft bushing with a bearing on the Spheros FBs. 

--   Has anyone here done this and have some comments on the process? 

--   Do you use the drive shaft bearing that is in the Saragosa for the same model size (aka Saragosa 14K and Spheros 14K)? 

--   Is the bearing a straight drop in replacement (aka remove bushing  and drop in bearing w/o any other alterations)?

--   Does anyone have the bearing measurements so that I can order them through Boca Bearings?

The parts numbers are:

- Spheros 14,000 FB - RD 4004 Drive Shaft Bearing
                                              - Saragosa 14,000  - RD 10463

- Spheros 18000 FB - RD 4004 Drive Shaft Bearing
                                              - Saragosa 18,000 - RD 10463

Upgrading Spheros Handle

Also, does anyone know if you can use Saragosa handles as straight screw-in replacements for the Spheros handles (aka Saragosa 14K handle for a Spheros 14K)?
I talked with Shimano and the gentleman said he did not think it would work, but did not know.  He cited that that the Saragosa has a different drive shaft then the Spheros (which I confirmed on the schematics).  If they are not, any good economical after-market options?

Thank you in advance.

Cone

I don't have a spheros but I saw the upgrade on 360 tuna or the Jig n Pop forum. IIRC the bushing was opened up to put in the bearing and then replaced. On the handle do you just want a larger knob? Alan and dawn both sell those. Also Egay has some. HTH Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD