Started by LTM, June 29, 2012, 09:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Beautiful joinery on the top, mid, and bottom, J --

Glue and nails?

Nice design...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Quote from: foakes on September 10, 2016, 04:46:27 AM

Glue and nails?

Nice design...

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred.

Just glue.  I sometimes shoot a few nails too if I run out of clamps.    I can't take any credit for the workmanship.  All cut out on a CNC router. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on September 10, 2016, 04:46:27 AM

Glue and nails?

Nice design...

Best,

Fred

Same here! Good craftsmanship Dave, this would work nicely.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Nice idea.  Cut out a few sets for sale, they would go quick.  Of course shipping would kill the plan probably.  Pretty heavy eh?

Not many of us have access to a CNC router.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

I know this is a older post so I'll show a older pic of a solution I came up with. This piece will only hold 20 or 21 rods but it leaves some storage for other things. I took this pic out in the sun before I moved the whole thing into the garage. Of course some of the reels and rods have changed and a few have been added. For me when I get over 20 or so setups its time to either sell some off, hand them down, donate or just retire some. My reels are not stored like this I just wanted to show what 10 reels looked like on the top shelve.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 19, 2016, 06:04:47 AM
My reels are not stored like this I just wanted to show what 10 reels looked like on the top shelve.

so, then how do you normally are storing your reels?
The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

When not fishing my reels have reel covers on and are placed inside a heavy duty zippered bag for storage.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Long Enuff

It would be nice to store the reels separate, but with everything else involved with loading up a boat for an offshore trip, that just isn't practical for me.  Trolling or bottom fishing, we are going to have between 10 and 12 rods. No way I am going put that many reels on rods, tie on snap swivels, etc the day before.

Newell Nut

Since I fish a couple days or more a week my reels stay on the rods and after a good washing after each trip they hang on the garage wall horizontally and this allows all water that may have gotten the reels to drain out near the harness lugs. This has worked well for a very long time.

Rancanfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 21, 2016, 05:01:53 PM
Since I fish a couple days or more a week my reels stay on the rods and after a good washing after each trip they hang on the garage wall horizontally and this allows all water that may have gotten the reels to drain out near the harness lugs. This has worked well for a very long time.

So you are saying lugs down then?  Seems like a good idea to me.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Long Enuff on September 21, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
It would be nice to store the reels separate, but with everything else involved with loading up a boat for an offshore trip, that just isn't practical for me.  Trolling or bottom fishing, we are going to have between 10 and 12 rods. No way I am going put that many reels on rods, tie on snap swivels, etc the day before.

I fully understand about the time needed and such, this is a normal days worth of rods and reels for me in Baja. There is also 3-4 larger setups that cant be seen in the pic because their stored on the inside of the boat under the side rails with a gaff or two more. Not every setup is broken down after every trip, this boat stays in Baja but my home gear which some of it was shown in the first pic gets broken down after every trip. But, I normally only take 4-5 setups on trips 3 days and under so there is not a lot of work in breaking down , loosing drags and setting them again for my next trip. On day or over night trips I mostly bring 3-4 setups. Again not a lot of work when I only fish 3-4 times a month in season back home home in So Cal.

Tightlines667

I spent the weekend tackling storage solutions by building out my garage attic, and building a simple rod storage rack.

I covered my entire garage attic in 3/4" plywood on top of 2×4 stringers to avoid the plumming & electrical.  I cut an access hole, framed and mounted a drop down ladeer, and wired in switched led lights.

I was going to build hanging rod/reel storage on the ceiling, above the garage door, but decided to take a simplier approach and just use an existing storage rack, and build a 3 tier hanging rack.  This takes up less space, and seems easier to store the heavy 130 reels.  I also mounted/wired 7 led lights.

Now I need to get all my fishing, boating, reel servicing, rod building equiptment and supplies organized.  This should give me back my garage/workshop benches and space.

I spent $1000 total on materials and supplies and it took around 10 hours of work.

Just thought I'd share.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

wait i missed something- last I recall the pic you had of work station was crowded desk in an apt :)

that looks great!

Tightlines667

Quote from: thorhammer on March 02, 2021, 09:04:02 PM
wait i missed something- last I recall the pic you had of work station was crowded desk in an apt :)

that looks great!

Lol

Yea..
I bought my first house a few miles feom the marina ~ 1 year ago.  The garage workshop is alot better than the lanae workshop.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.