Abu Garcia 6600 C4

Started by FirePro911, July 01, 2012, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The brake holder/coupler is held in place by a retainer that slots in a groove cut into the spool. Remove carefully the retainer (it tends to fly out) and then you can remove the brake holder/coupler and have access to the right side spool bearing.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Persuant to the above's well informed post, should the reel be a later model with the 6-puck cast control system, this one is friction-fitted, so it prys off, gently, with a small screwdriver. It _can_ be put back upside down, so remember top from bottom....

Mine have a small 'number' underside, on one of the legs. Place number down, if so-equipped.  Or otherwise mark top from bottom.  Remember to replace the little bent copper washer under the ball bearing, and make sure the bearing can still 'float' against the washer. allowing slight up and down movement.

Thrillz

It was the 6 puck friction fitted piece and pried off nice and easy. Thank You both for the response.

FirePro911

I thought for sure I had updated this thread. It took forever for the parts to come in as a handle assembly I had ordered for my 7000i C3 was and still is backordered.

I finally asked them to ship the parts they had and then ship the handle when ever it came in. It is still on backorder though.

The reel

The Gear Drive, part # 21200, the one of the left is supposed to be the new 5:3:1 ratio. The teeth do look a little different, but not sure.

The Pinion Gear,part # 1116904, the new one on the right.

Both sets together with the new set on the left.

After the install I really could not feel a difference between the new gear set and old gear set when reeling in. It does seem as though my 6500 C3 (silver) has more torque. I did order the set above for a 6600 C3 (16 00) as this reel showed the gear ratio to be 5:3:1.

So I am not sure why the swap did not lower the torque. My 6500 C3 (15 00) shows the exact part numbers for its 5:3:1 ratio. I can feel a big difference between the two when reeling in the same size fish. It still fishes great though, but the extra torque is handy for the big boys.

I am now about to order ceramic bearings for 4 of my reels. The 6600 C4, 6500 C3, 6000 (red), all show the stock bearing # 13472 and the 7000i C3, showing a stock bearing number 1120050.

I think I will order the TG Rocket Bearings ABEC 7's because of what I am reading about them and the price compared to the Boca's. So if anyone would like to point me towards your favorite place to buy ceramic ABEC7 bearings, feel free. lol!

hookless.com      Jerry will send'em to you quick and give you all the Abu advise you need.

Ken_D

Hi.  VXB in Cal. stocks ceramics too.  Their site is organized mostly by bore. So you want 4mm for the 6's, and 3 mm for the 7's.  4 x 10 x 4,  and 3 x 10 x 4   Remember that most ceramic bbs are hybrids: ceramic spheres, and metallic inner and outer races. So a little anti-corrosive treatment is needed if you fish salt.

Mooki

Seems to me that you should have 12 teeth in your new pinion (vs 10 for the old 6.3:1 pinion).
Seems perfectly reasonable from looking at you pics that they are the correct pinions.
Both main gears have the same number of teeth (63) as they should.

A simple test would be to measure how much line is retrieved for 1 turn of the handle for each gear set, should give you a good idea if the new parts have indeed slowed the reel down a little, but the difference is only about 16% so it's possible that you still feel that the reel is too fast.
You could probably step down to a "winch" retrieve. Not sure but think it's 4.7:1
Parts from the schematic for 5600C4 Hyper Winch would be #23955 and #1117005

Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

mhc

Hi, It's easy to check the gear ratio - line up a mark on the spool with a mark on the frame, rotate the handle one revolution and count the number of times the spool mark passes the frame mark and you have your gear ratio. It might be an estmate for the .3 of a revolution but it should easy to tell if it is 5.3 or 6.3.
Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ken_D

Hi, Mooki, and thread-readers...If this is the reel, it's 6.3-1.       http://tinyurl.com/8f6mnxb

There used to be (possibly still avail.)... the "Euro" gearset at 4.7-1, in ultracast, which see:  

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C3_Click_Spring_07_00_-_thx_to_KD.pdf

And, There is a 3.8-1 winch set out there, whose numbers I can't recall. I'll search.  KD

FirePro911

Quote from: mhc on October 19, 2012, 01:25:01 PM
Hi, It's easy to check the gear ratio - line up a mark on the spool with a mark on the frame, rotate the handle one revolution and count the number of times the spool mark passes the frame mark and you have your gear ratio. It might be an estmate for the .3 of a revolution but it should easy to tell if it is 5.3 or 6.3.
Michael
Nice! Thanks! I did the 6600 C4, the 6500 C3 and her 6000 and they all are 5:3:1, so I do have the new 6600 C4 geared properly.

One of the guys on 2coolfishing.com got with me and he upgrades and cleans reels on the side. So I went through him for parts and ordered the Boca 7's, Stainless Washers (polished) and the CarbonTex drag washers and will let him install as well as clean and polish the reel.

Once I get it back, I will do the install on the work gear upgrade.

Then I will upgrade the 6500 C3, her 6000 and the 7000i C3 since these are the main 4 boat rods we use.

Keta

Could the ear of the eared drag washer be out of the groove causing the drag to "tighten" without compressing the drag stack?

Quote from: Thrillz on July 20, 2012, 12:34:13 AM
How do you remove the star shapepiece on the spool to get to the bearing ?

They are held in by splines and friction and usualy pop right out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FirePro911

Quote from: Keta on October 20, 2012, 03:18:16 PM
Could the ear of the eared drag washer be out of the groove causing the drag to "tighten" without compressing the drag stack?
Not sure, but all that will be replaced as soon as parts come in anyway. I can take a look at it all beforehand and get some closeup shots to post.

raumati01

If you're interested Abu did a 6600 wide  Black max with 3.8 ratio gears in the early 90s , I bought one second hand  a while ago but never used it.

FirePro911

Thanks, but I have a SM6600 CLW with a 4.7:1 gear ratio that sits a lot.

It says that it has 5bb and 1rb, but not sure where all those bearing are. I have the schematic and it only shows two bearings on axle and 2 on worm gear.

Side view of reel, I got pic online as I am at second job right now. I assume the 6 means six bearings? 

I am scouting around to pick up a Abu Garcia 10000 to supplement my 7000i for bigger shark and off shore. I want an older one though.

FirePro911

Quote from: FirePro911 on October 20, 2012, 02:10:34 PM
One of the guys on 2coolfishing.com got with me and he upgrades and cleans reels on the side. So I went through him for parts and ordered the Boca 7's, Stainless Washers (polished) and the CarbonTex drag washers and will let him install as well as clean and polish the reel.

Once I get it back, I will do the install on the work gear upgrade.
Well I went ahead and had him do the worm gear upgrade while he was doing everything else. A big difference in this reel now.

He installed all parts and did a super tune on it. It spins now for about 12 seconds, 6 second if you spin the handle also. Cannot wait to get it out to fish.

Going to do my Abu 7000, 6500 c3 and her 6000 next. Right now I just finished cleaning and restoring a '73 5000 I got from her Dad. Foot number 730602. Working on the schematic as the only ones I found online are hard to read. So I took a few of them and am cleaning them up in my paint program and making them one nice one.

Then I will post up all pics for a tutorial.

Also tore down a Pflueger Akron No 1893 last night, documenting that process. My Captain at the FD found it in his Mom's garage in the original leather case. It was his Dads and he wanted me to clean it inside and out so he can display it. It actually still work real good. We estimate that it is a '50 to '53 model as that is about the time frame he thinks his Dad bought it.

Then last Saturday, my wife was visiting her Dad and she was going through the shed again and behind the door was a Shakespeare Direct Drive, Model FK (1951), with the No. 7363 Ty Bo handle. So I will tear it down, clean it up and display it.

Lots of reels to work on this Winter as the cover is on the boat until Spring or when I tinker with it. lol!