PLASTIC CONTAINER CODES

Started by LTM, July 12, 2012, 03:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hey Guys,

Thought that some of you may be interested in what types of plastic containers/bottles are best to use with solvents and oils.  I did a google search on: plastic resin codes to find out.  Here's the link:  http://plastics.americanchemistry.com/Plastic-Resin-Codes-PDF.  This table is very helpful for me and I hope it helps you as well.

Leo

Dominick

Thanks Leo.  That is good information.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

Thanx Pescachaser,

I went to look for this post to see if there was any interest and couldnt find it.  So I thought I must have posted in another section; then to my surprise I saw that it was made a sticky.  :o

Thanx,

Leo

alantani

tryin' to save someone a little trouble lookin' for it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rockfish1

It is great information...Thanks!

Agrees with what I said in another thread about HDPE being good for solvents.  I ordered a couple of the little bottles with needle tips that look to be HDPE (when they're this small they don't code 'em) and have had TSI 301 in one of 'em now for 2+ weeks......no issues. Best I can tell, HDPE has a kind of a slick feel to it that PVC and PP don't have.

I'm cutting off milk jugs made of HDPE about 4" above the bottom and using as a bowl for cleaning with brake cleaner or to spray into with TSI 301 and they aren't getting damaged at all that I can see.  Acetone doesn't hurt 'em either.

Also found that plastic (nylon) electrical ties work great as something to slide a bearing onto and dunk/swish around in the TSI 301 can.....they don't seem to be affected by it and they're plenty long (these are about 8") so that even if I dropped it - it would still be sticking out the top of the can with the bearing securely on the bottom.  With my fumble fingers one has to be careful!

LTM

Hey Rockfish,

I use your milk jug tip, thanx man.

Leo

Dominick

Rockfish:  That is a good tip, but Zin does not come in plastic bottles and I won't drink that greasy kid stuff.   ;D  I guess I'll have to raid my neighbor's recycle bin.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rockfish1

I'm with you Dom.......neighbor's recycle is where I get 'em!

The other thing I dive the neighborhood recycle boxes for is those plastic bottles that you get a half-gallon of Cranberry juice or Apple juice in.......the ones that are about 3.5" x 4.5"  roughly rectangular cross section - they lay flat if you put 'em on their side.  You can fill those up with water to about maybe 1.5 or 2 inches from the very top, squeeze out all the air and cap 'em tight - then freeze and use as ice blocks in the cooler.  Throw 3 or so in the fish cooler when I head out for the morning......works great and they don't break from freezing and refreezing.  I must have frozen some of 'em 50 times or more.  Code says they're PET.  I've got 10 or so in my bait freezer all the time.

Hal

Dominick

Rockfish1:  how do you get away with having a bait freezer?  You must be some tough guy.  My wife says things like "you are not going to put that in the freezer."  I answer "well where do you think I'm going to put it if it needs to be frozen?"  Rockfish1, do you want to smack my wife around a bit?  ;D Dominick

Rockfish1

Dominick,
I wouldn't think of it......she'd probably kick my butt just like my wife does   ::)

I just paid some guy $50 for one of those little 5 or 7 cu ft chest freezers he didn't need and put it in the garage at my place in MD - my wife liked the idea when she didn't have to get all riled about that stinky bait anymore!

Hal

johnachak

Thank you. Excellent reference.

Islandgypsy

Not sure where to post this, but wanted show those little worm inflator bottles with the hollow needle have been great for applying 321. Puts one tiny drop right where needed. Dull the point with a fine file though, or you'll find out how sharp that little sucker is ( I did ) .

Alto Mare

You have it at the right place Islandgypsy. Thanks for the tip on the bottle and for the warning on the needle. I doubt it would penetrate my skin though, over 40 years working with stones, I have natural leather gloves ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Thanks for this Post Leo, & thanks to every one else for the good info, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

kevin cozens

HDPE plastic containers should be fine for all solvents.
Its what acetone ad thinners are supplied in