Calcutta 200 cast control problems.

Started by Ikaika, July 15, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikaika

Hello all. I have searched the forum and found 2 relevant posts regarding the silver Calcutta ct200.

My Calcutta was purchased back in the early 1990's.
I may have to replace the drag washers, but I believe the cast control is the real issue. It has ceased to work.
It is at max tension to keep the spool from rotating. The drag seems to be ok apart from this.

Is it a simple matter of replacing the cast control bearing to get back in business or do I need to replace the stack?

What is the best tool to remove the cast control bearing?

Mahalo-
Ikaika

alantani

you should be able to just tighten down the spool cap.  you should find washers inside.  is the bearing stuck?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ikaika

Yes - the bearing is stuck.

When I remove the control cap there is a spring, but no washers.
I will try to post a photo later.

coastalobsession

You will need to take it apart and get the side plate to its self. Then you will need to tap the bearing out.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Ikaika

Quote from: coastalobsession on July 16, 2012, 11:17:08 PM
You will need to take it apart and get the side plate to its self. Then you will need to tap the bearing out.

I will post pics tomorrow. I took it apart and beneath the cap there were no "spacers" as identified in the Calcutta B schematic. It is possible they have corroded into the cap.

I attempted to first pry the bearing away With an awl. No luck.
When inspecting the opposite side ( internal) I was reluctant to attempt tapping out the bearing since the Integral parts to the cast control were preventing access to the bearing. I didn't want to potentially daae or break another working part to service the reel.

alantani

i've had three reels recently with the right side plate bearing rusted tight.  i was able to fix one, the other two were reduced to parts. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ikaika

Quote from: alantani on July 17, 2012, 01:13:46 AM
i've had three reels recently with the right side plate bearing rusted tight.  i was able to fix one, the other two were reduced to parts. 
That's what I'm afraid of...   :(
Here are some pics, but It may be a lost cause - I'll attack the bearing with some solvent or WD 40 to see if that buys me some play. If Not I'll be in the market for a new 200...   ::) :(

coastalobsession

F you end up wanting to sell it give my a shout
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Ikaika

lol - I'll wind up keeping it and using it as a drift reel or light vertical jigging reel.
I can still educate my thumb and trick the magnets to get it where I can place baits with a lob-cast.

I'll give it a soak in WD40 and see what happens

Ikaika

Question: if things wre normal, would this bearing come out with out much coaxing?

I will take a dremel to this over the weekend... Hopefully I don't grid off more than I require.

:-[

captbob

I have never had a problem with the cast frames or the forged frame Calcutta's. I deal with freshwater fisherman only, and I am sure that saltwater would be different results. I have always when servicing them, used a light coat of grease in the bearing cavity before installing the bearing, and when serviced later they always slide out easily. I am careful not to use to much as to get grease in the bearing, just a light film, as not to slow down the bearing. I use very light weight oil (yellow rocket fuel) to keep from slowing the bearings rpm's, for saltwater reels I would use a little heavier viscosity lube (the red formula) or something similar, I also service mostly reels used in cold climates.

I have always wondered why I don't hear of "never-seize" being used to coat the bearing cavity before installing the bearing? I used to work as a mechanic at a winter snow removal company. The salting equipment and loaders used to load trucks with salt,we always used it to cat bearings nuts and bolts and never had seizing issues. These were always steel components, would never-seize be hard on aluminum, or why does nobody use it??   
Fish Hard or Go Home!

Ikaika

Success!
After a good soak in wd40, I popped out the spent bearing with a finishing punch and a light hammer rap.
Next, I need to order the new bearing and may as well get a new set of drag washers.

Thanks

Ikaika

This reel has been seviced back to good health. ;)

Thanks

Bryan Young

Way to go Ikaika. Glad you got that reel back in shape.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: captbob on July 21, 2012, 09:51:34 AM
I have always wondered why I don't hear of "never-seize" being used to coat the bearing cavity before installing the bearing? I used to work as a mechanic at a winter snow removal company. The salting equipment and loaders used to load trucks with salt,we always used it to cat bearings nuts and bolts and never had seizing issues. These were always steel components, would never-seize be hard on aluminum, or why does nobody use it??    

Anti-sieze is a good thing but some have metals in it, try to avoid the metal containing anti sieze products for reels used in saltwater.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain