Penn Mag-10

Started by Gman_WC, July 18, 2012, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

Should I just use the guide for the 209/210 to service?
I don't see much about this model here. ???
I picked one up on the Flea for light tackel use.
-g

Walnut Creek, CA

Keta

They are a good reel and similar enough to the 210 to use it as a general guide.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

The 10 has an anti-reverse like a Squidder, meaning that you can turn it off and fish the reel in direct drive. Be sure to see how the spring fits before removing the bridge and you'll be OK.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gman_WC

Quote from: Keta on July 18, 2012, 06:35:08 PM
They are a good reel and similar enough to the 210 to use it as a general guide.

It was not the same but in the ballpark.
Was nice and clean on the outside but a dirty little reel on the inside:P
Nothing worn or abused, only gunked up.
That little magnet is a strong sucker.
I got it torn down lastnight. Cleaned and new greased Carbontex drags. It got to late, so tonight it will
go back together. I'm going to run 150Yds of 20#mono for backing and fill it up with PowerPro 65#
for a nifty little light tackle rock cod reel for bouncing the bottem of the north coast.
Got a little rockcod round-up in a few weeks in Albion/Ft Bragg to attend.
The guys are wondering why they don't feel the bottem with 30# test with
salmon trolling rods or catch may fish ??? I'll show them ;D
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Keta

Albion/Ft Brag?  Memories from the past come rushing.......It's been over 40 years but I have many fond memories of Salt Point (pre state park), Sea Ranch (before there was a development called Sea Ranch) Albion and the Northern California coast.  My largest ab came from just north of Albion Cove.

If it was me I'd back up the Spectra with Dacron but mono works.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

The Mag 10 is a great little reel. However, the gears shred very easily given their tiny teeth. I hope bottom fishing with heavy lead doesn't do a toll on it...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gman_WC

Quote from: akfish on July 25, 2012, 02:45:46 AM
The Mag 10 is a great little reel. However, the gears shred very easily given their tiny teeth. I hope bottom fishing with heavy lead doesn't do a toll on it...

You can't fish deeper than 120 feet. The last trip I was using 4oz lead head/scami tails with nice results from a Squiddeer 146 in a tiburon frame and 20# mono.
After getting beer elbow, I was wishing I had a level wind  ::). All I know is that I want thinner line to get down easier.
Maybe I'll just save the Mag10 for live bait fishing. To many reels, not enough time on the water. Life is cruel that way for fisherman. -g

Walnut Creek, CA

akfish

You'll be fine with a 4 oz. scampi. i think of bottom fishing like we do up here -- typically at least a pound of lean while we hunt for fish over 50 pounds...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska