lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

This sales rep who travels all over the world gave me some free samples,,,,so I'm sending it to a lab in florida to be tested by an expert  ;D

Benni3

No test results yet from Florida so I sent it to a lab in Pennsylvania  ;D

Gobi King

Could it be Food Grade heavy grease?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

handi2

I got some in the mail, Thanks..!

I haven't researched yet but it sure feels like a synthetic silicone based food safe grease. Its very slick and creamy. Looks good to eat.

Edit..

All I had to do was Google.

Aluminum complex grease. #1/#2 NLGI. This means its light not thick and tacky.

I will try some in my little Shimano Sustain 2500 spinning reel. I'm sure it will be fine for a year or so. It will probably turn dark quickly.

Keith

http://www.swepcolube.com/sites/default/files/package_inserts/swepco_115_food_machinery_grease_sales_brochure_j11199.pdf
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Quote from: handi2 on January 25, 2018, 12:47:16 AM

I haven't researched yet but it sure feels like a synthetic silicone based food safe grease. Its very slick and creamy. Looks good to eat.

Edit..

All I had to do was Google.

Aluminum complex grease. #1/#2 NLGI. This means its light not thick and tacky.

I will try some in my little Shimano Sustain 2500 spinning reel. I'm sure it will be fine for a year or so. It will probably turn dark quickly.

Keith

http://www.swepcolube.com/sites/default/files/package_inserts/swepco_115_food_machinery_grease_sales_brochure_j11199.pdf
thanks Keith for your help,,,,I hope this stuff works good,,,,,,you never know about products or how you can misuse them,,,,that's the fun part  ;D

exp2000

I haven't researched yet but it sure feels like a synthetic silicone based food safe grease.

Its very slick and creamy. Looks good to eat.

Does it come in vanilla?
~

Tiddlerbasher

I have been using Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C with Teflon (PTFE). I was looking to buy some more so shopped around for prices. Ouch the price has shot up over 20% in the last year.
I don't just use this for reels it gets used on everything around the house and garden.
So I started looking around for alternatives. Criteria were simple - Must contain Teflon (for drag use), no thicker than NLGI 2, low water washout, provide protection against salt water, no silicon (fine for plumbing but not for fishing stuff imho), high drop point (in case the drags should get hot ::)), preferably fully synthetic, non-toxic, and a few other ad hoc criteria.

Checked loads of sites, read countless specs. I was mostly put off by the quantities I was expected to buy - I don't need 10kgs of grease (plus shipping costs). Many of the greases had restricted shipping requirements because they are considered hazardous.

I eventually found this product:
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/industrial-grease/4640-smith-and-allan-teflube-plus-2-grease/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371874087883

Just received a 400gm cartridge. Initial impressions - virtually no odor - not too tacky but stayed in place when run under a tap (yeah I know shouldn't really be doing that ::)) - Very translucent no added colour. Felt ok when rubbed between my fingers :-\
So I slapped some on the drags of a small spinner (easiest route for a quick check) - Smooth as silk - no different to the Quicksilver or Cals for that matter.

Obviously early days yet - but looks promising at a reasonable price - Cals is over £30 in the UK :o

Decker

Quote from: exp2000 on January 25, 2018, 02:50:17 AM

I haven't researched yet but it sure feels like a synthetic silicone based food safe grease.

Its very slick and creamy. Looks good to eat.

Does it come in vanilla?
~

I worked in an ice cream factory for a short time.   They had special edible lubricants for the machinery.

oc1

I'm trying an oil that says it cleans, lubricates and protects.
-steve

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on January 25, 2018, 09:29:19 PM
-steve

Mine says tastes great  and less filling ::)  (Manteca)

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on January 25, 2018, 09:29:19 PM
-steve

I'm sitting back, waitng for the "horror stories" and "carnage reports" . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

FFisher

Hi.
Long time lurker here.
What can i say i just like to read.
I have a couple of questions regarding lubricants.
Any one using the corrosion-x grease instead of the Yamaha Marine grease?
What do you use to thin TSI-321
What do you use to thin the grease.
Great Site.!!
Thank you. ;D

alantani

i've seen corrosion x grease and it's probably fine, but i have been using yamaha for so long i'm reluctant to change just to change.  for tsi 321 and greases, i don't ever thin them at all, but other guys do.  i'm sure the other guys will chime in!  and welcome!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

For thinning grease I use CorrosionX - I only really do this for small spinners where the grease maybe too thick
For TSI321 I thin with IPA (Isopropryl Alcohol 99% pure it doesn't attack plastics like some solvents) - 4 or 5 parts IPA to 1 part TSI321 - I only do this for spool bearings on a casting reel - otherwise I use it neat. It's also excellent on tool joints like pliers/cutters etc. Hope that helps - Chris.

FFisher

Quote from: alantani on February 14, 2018, 04:48:15 PM
i've seen corrosion x grease and it's probably fine, but i have been using yamaha for so long i'm reluctant to change just to change.  for tsi 321 and greases, i don't ever thin them at all, but other guys do.  i'm sure the other guys will chime in!  and welcome!!!!

Thank you Alan
I need to order 1 of your tools and a set of bearing packers.
Do you know if Reel Speed is still making the bearing Pullers?