Tile fishing 8' rod to pair with a jm pe8?

Started by codjigger, August 07, 2012, 01:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codjigger

Hi, I wanted to know if anyone could recomend a good off the rack or custom rod for tile fishing to be paired with a jigging master pe8. I'm new to targeting tile fish and have never been fishing for them before Im thinking about hoping on a party boat once I get a rod for the reel. I belive the rod needs to be able to hold about 3-4lbs of weight. Im from CT and planing to take a boat from NJ to the offshore canyons. 

redsetta

G'day codjigger,
I'm not familiar with tilefish, but believe it's similar to our hapuku or bass.
PE8 is a hefty set-up (ie 60lb+ braid) but, if that suits the target species, technique etc, then a 300-400g jigging rod would likely be a good match.
For an off-the-shelf option, have a look at the Jigging Master Titanium 400g.
I think Phenix do a Black Diamond hybrid offshore which may be a good match, too.
Clem knows his jigging, so he may have more detailed advice.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

conchydong

Can't help you because in S. FL we tilefish with electrics. Due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream and 3-5 Knt. currents, we need 5-10lbs of weight, so we use bent butt rods that stay in the rod holders. Different style of fishing for the same fish.

codjigger

Well thanks for the input anyway guys. That titanuim 400g looks great will probally pick one of those up for tuna jigging hell may even use for cod fishing as well. I did read some where someone one used the cape cod 450g black hole for tile with circle hooks but don't know if a 5' is going cut it on a party boat.

bmullaney

I see this post is old but anyhow for partyboat tiles and I use an 8 ft glass rod that can handle 2-3 lbs of lead