What rod for Penn 9500ss ?

Started by lmg, August 21, 2012, 01:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmg

I am mainly going for large tarpon, barracuda and sharks. I am fishing from shore and would like to be able to get the bait out into deeper water without having to paddle it out or using a balloon. I would prefer a penn rod but any rod that can do the job will do. I will be using 20lbs mono.

dobrobill

I would think there are lot of people that would jump in and help here but beings they have not I will try. The 9500 is a good salt water reel but I believe you will flat wear it out with the game you seek. The drags are not the best and a long battle will be the order of each trip. As to rods, money has a lot to do with them. I would say something like a trevala 200lb class by shimano could handle some of what you seek but not a very large shark without stripping all your line off the reel. It is a reasonable price range rod but casting more than 6 ounces becomes tricky. I am not sure that the trevala would allow the big spool 9500 to pass line through the eyes very well though. I use them with 8500/850's with no problem. A custom rod like my old Hateras Heever would work for the big game but I would not want to cast it all day because it's a telephone pole that can cast large weights. I have gone to 12 ounces sinkers plus bait but it is hard to throw any distance unless you are a lot bigger and stronger than me.   Also this kind of casting requires leather on the cast finger. Matching equipment to each need might be a better choice, but if you don't mind long fights and totally worn out fish and body go for it. Finding a spinning rod for large baits and weights is hard to do in any case. A custom one would be my choice and yes I would pay dearly for it if I were going to fish the three fish you mentioned with one rod.   

conchydong

I am going to go in the opposite direction and suggest you get a longer rod as you stated you need to get the bait out a distance form the shore. The Trevalas are good for vertical jigging but lack in casting ability.
I would suggest a heavy spinning rod at least 8' in length. This model from Crowder ( a very popular Florida based rod manufacturer) should do the job.
www.tackledirect.com/crowder-cslb80-tarpon-jig-bottom-spinning-rod.html

Alto Mare

I have my 9500ss on a Daiwa Beef Stick, model #S1102MHRS, also comes in 12'. We target different species here in the NE thought. I would recommend braid and a bailess kit on that 9500ss. As for drags, the 9500 can hold its own, a 100lb fish shouldn't be a problem on that reel. I haven't caught one that size yet on my 9500, but  heard of guys doing so.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dobrobill

Looks like a good fit to what the he wants. I could not find the casting weight range on the Crowder. I live in florida but don't own any crowder rods but from their write up it should handle bringing them in.

"hold its own"
I concide,  a hundred pound fish is possible becaue I have caught one in that range on a 9500. Would I recomend it. Note even.. Takes to long to land them from shore using 30 lb test.  Only 20lb test was mentioned above. Some people like the fight and use 4 lb test in saltwater. Takes a lot of practice for such an endeavor.  Would the reel hold up fish after fish like that. With 20-30 lb test and fish in that range yes but large fish no according to a boat captain I know. The captain had to have all of his modified to handle(30-60) range Tuna and 30lb mono/80lb braid.  Problems with the handles breaking off first then the drags blowing out. Last time I talked to him he was looking for something else. He also uses boat rods. I think the no bail kit would be in order also.   

dobrobill

"Daiwa Beef Stick, model #S1102MHRS" 17-40 and 1-6 ounces.   My spinning long rods used surf and such for larger fish are all rated at least 12 ounces and 40 lbs. I use them for pier and surf. While they may be able to bring in a shark, I'd rather not. I would not even want to tangle a big king with them. I use conventional gear for such tasks and rarely over 30lb test plus leader.  When I shark fish I cast out a big chunk of lead and a pretty large bait.  Casting a spinner with what I throw would be hard on my fingers and the rigs/gear.  In total I only meant that it is hard to use one outfit for the fish mentioned. I guess one could get away with using one for all but I would not.  As the the Trevala's don't put them down as a caster too fast. Four ounces 20lb test and bait they will scream out there pretty darn good. 

Alto Mare

Yes you're right, I wouldn't cast over 5oz with the beef stick. It is a nice rod for the money though and it casts nicely. Most of my rods are $30 t0 $40, one of my favorite is the Ugly Stick by Shakespeare.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 23, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

Hiya Sal, you mention a bailess kit for the 9500... where do you find those? i checked on pennparts and couldn't find anything.
...and are those kits you mention specific to only penn reels or are they available for other makes?
Thanks a lot, cheers, and Happy Holidays from Fiji !

I have my 9500ss on a Daiwa Beef Stick, model #S1102MHRS, also comes in 12'. We target different species here in the NE thought. I would recommend braid and a bailess kit on that 9500ss. As for drags, the 9500 can hold its own, a 100lb fish shouldn't be a problem on that reel. I haven't caught one that size yet on my 9500, but  heard of guys doing so.

Alto Mare

Hello Erik, good to hear from you.
Haven't heard from you in a while, Happy Holidays to you as well.
About that bailess kit, I'm not sure if it will work with other reels, you will need to check  for yourself.
here is where I get mine from:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/69-9500.aspx
All the best!
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

erikpowell

Hi Sal, thanks for the quick response! I see how you spend YOUR friday nights  ;D
ya know, I was pretty sure I still had a 9500ss, but I just double checked and it's a 950ssm...Bummer.. same goes for the smaller one too.
i think i gave away my older rebuilt 6500 and kept the newer 650ssm... back before i knew any better...oh well, so much for my attempt on your double dog upgrade, i was looking forward to that. maybe i'll give it a go on my Tib framed 113h... make myself a mini tank!

Happy & Healthy New Year to you !
Erik