Shimano TR200G

Started by yakfisher, August 21, 2012, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakfisher

Hi everyone,
                   Just wondering about your thoughts on the above reel. I'm looking for a reel to put some 80lb braid on for kayak fishing. I have been looking into the Torium 16 or 20, but this one seems pretty good on paper if I have got this right. I need something that will handle a bit of salt water.

It costs less than the Torium.
It has a 14kg LEVER drag.
It is pretty light at only 375g.

Line capacity probably around 300yd of 80lb braid which would be plenty for my needs. The body wouldn't be as strong structurally as the aluminium bodied reels but the old XT7 is pretty durable and the TLD's are made out of the same material and I have never heard of any problems with them due to flexing. Only thing I noticed is that it only has 1 ball bearing... is that likely to make this reel less smooth? Is it unpleasant to use?

Thanks for your advice,
Mark

akfish

I think the TR200G is just about the most bullet proof level wind reel I see in the shop. Up here they are quite poplar for salmon. They take Penn 965 HT-100 drag washers which really smooth the drag. But some of your info is incorrect: They don't get 14 kg of drag and they are star drag reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

yakfisher

Thanks akfish,
                   You are right. That's what you get for trusting the internet.

http://shop.fishing.net.nz/index.cfm/PageID/25/ProductID/92428/ViewProduct/Shimano-Tr200g-Speedmaster-Combos

"Available in one size and featuring the somewhat unique combination of a lever drag, level wind and centrifugal brakes".

It is a star drag and I found another reference stating that it has 6kg of drag.

Still, perhaps with the drag upgrade it would suit my purpose?

Cheers,
Mark.

ps. are salmon hard on gear? Don't get Atlantic salmon down here (at least wild), just curious.

Bryan Young

If you want a lever drag reel, look into Shimano's TR1000/TR2000 Charter Specials.  Similar specs as the TR100/TR200 star drag reels in a lever drag version.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I think the TR200 star drag is much more reliable that the 2000LD Charter Special. With new bearings and a Carbontex drag washer, the Charter Special is great, but they don't seem to hold up. A large fraction that I see need new gears and a new pinion bearing plus the carbon fiber drag washer. I think a Charter Special would be a bad choice on a yak.

Are salmon tough on tackle? The don't fight like a tuna, but a 25 pound king pulls pretty hard. They are great fish on the table too.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

redsetta

x2 on ak's posts - they're very common here in NZ too.
80lb braid is hefty though, given you're only pulling about 12lb of drag on what's traditionally pitched as a 20lb reel.
Other than that, it's a good option for the yak.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

yakfisher

Thanks guys. Yeah I did read about the charter special after posting and you've pre-empted my next question regarding which would be better. I don't have a particular preference for the lever drag better, just probably always drummed into me from advertising that they are better due to the ability to pre-set the drag. The only lever drag that I have owned is a TLD25 and it has lasted me incredibly well, but without owning a boat it hasn't seen the use that it should have. It's too heavy and bulky for the kayak and doesn't cast well at all for land based - would have been better with a TLD15 in retrospect but I bought it before braided lines were commonplace, when line capacity was the main concern. I quite like adjusting the drag multiple times during a fight to suit the particular fish anyway and think I have a good enough feel for line tension not to overtighten a drag (unless the fish is unstoppable and likely to put me into the reef anyway) so star drag is fine.

Reliability is my main concern so think I might go with the TR200G. They are on special at the moment over here (perhaps running them out?) for under $100 which seems pretty good value.

I've often glanced at the similar style reels that Daiwa and Penn make - i.e. graphite frame, star drag, low cost - but with the comments above and my past experience I think i'll go with shimano this time.

Perhaps the only shortcoming that I can see is the drag rating when using heavy braid, but probably less important on the kayak.  

Mainly want it for live baiting larger yellowtail kings and cobia and 50lb would probably be enough anyway plus line capacity would be a lot better. The weight of these is a real plus - much less than a heavy-duty spinner with similar line capacity.

What do people mainly use for the big kings you guys get in NZ Justin?

Akfish, I used to buy wild caught Alaskan salmon from the supermarket when I was working in England. It tastes awesome. Totally different colour and flavour to the farmed stuff that we get over here...

Thanks for the help,
Mark

redsetta

G'day Mark,
There's two distinct target ranges in the areas I fish most often - fun size and XOS.
There are reel options aplenty but, on modest kings, TLD15/20/25, Charter Specials, Penn GT2s etc are popular, as are Daiwa Saltists and any number of modern spinners.
Once you step up to the big boys (ie 'Jurassic' kings that can smoke 80lb braid/25lb drag, no problemo), it's Jigging Masters, Daiwa Saltigas (spinner and overhead), Tyrnos/Torium, Stellas etc.
A TR against the latter group would be the proverbial knife at a gun fight ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin

yakfisher

akfish

I like the TR200G for salmon, but then it's fished with 20 or 30# mono and a fairly light drag. I'm not sure I'd pick it for a 50# yellowtail. In fact, I'm sure I wouldn't.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

yakfisher

Well now i'm not so sure...  ???

20 -30kg kings (black and yt) are not that uncommon where I fish although I have never targetted them before. They take most people into the reef straight away as it's only about 12-15m deep so it's important to be able to apply a lot of pressure.

Bryan had recommended a Torium 20 in a previous post - Has a 10kg drag and should be stronger but will it last getting wet all the time.....

Hard to find a small but tough reel for under $200. Maybe i'm asking too much. 

wallacewt

hi yakfisher,if you are fishing out of the kayak alan recommended the best reel,cant remember what it was.maybe graphite

redsetta

Good call Wallace - 'twas here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=276.0
A cracker reel, no doubt - I use a 99-width Jigmaster and a Tib 501 off the paddle board from time to time (unlikely to stop a big king from reaching structure in the shallows, though) ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin

yakfisher

Thanks.. I hadn't read that thread. Sounds like another durable cheap reel - but Alan says not really suited to braid due to large tolerance between the spool and frame...

I don't really like using really heavy mono.

Sounds like a better drag though.. at least when upgraded.

wallacewt

hi yakfisher if you want to keep the king(not for release)and fishing shallow water over reef
you are going to lose most of the time if its a tug-o war.
this is worth a try out of your kayak.drag and reel dont matter much,within reason.
any of the reels mention.
live bait,small offset hook,(not circle)no weight.
kayak on highest point of reef
berley,chum,
pin your livie near the anus,(dives deep)
or cut half his tail fin off.
reel in freespool
kingie takes livie,thumb spool,let him run
dont fight him,he will stop,you can lead him away,drift or paddle slowly
100yards plus from reef at least,because he will head straight back.
your hoping for a gut hookup.
a little pray up top might also help
we have had success doing this to stop them going around buoy chains
ps;just read up on that reel(thanks redsetta)i wouldnt worry about the gap
most of the trouble comes when your casting or got loose line.my 2 cents.