TLD 5 Repair

Started by redfish12, August 28, 2012, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfish12

Hello All! I recently acquired a TLD 5 for use on my kayak. I love the size of this reel and I was excited to start using it, however, I will need some help! I followed the instructions on this site for servicing the reel, tore it down, cleaned, oiled/greased as appropriate, and replaced the drag with a greased carbontex drag from Dawn.

I thought I was all good to go... I went to check free spool and when I go to spin the spool the handle turns.  ??? I check and it seems like on my TLD 15 the spool gets pulled over to the clicker side plate when the lever arm is in the free position. If I push on the drag tension knob the spool will pop over and give me great free spool. I'd like to not have to do this while I am on the water. Any ideas? I checked the spring and thought maybe it was compressed so I pulled it a little bit but that did not resolve the problem.

Thanks for the help!

redsetta

G'day redfish,
The graphite frame has swollen slightly where the spool shaft goes into the left side plate (it's a relatively common problem).
Use a small file to open the slot very slightly - don't overdo it though.
Once the spool shaft can move back and forth smoothly, you'll have solved the problem.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

redfish12

Thank you for the help! Do you mean to file the inner lip where the shaft goes in? Or the left part of the side plate?

redfish12

Figured it out! That has to be one of the easiest fixes I've had!!! Thanks!

redsetta

Good stuff RF - they're great little reels and last a lifetime if maintained.
I'll include a pic below for anyone else who has a similar issue.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!