6/0 senator vs 4/0?

Started by Ron Jones, September 02, 2012, 12:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So, I was at the Kaneohe marina pier this morning, a place I intend to fish often, and last night a guy hooked a monster. He was using a new 4/0 on a stiff slider rod and after about 50 yards he had the drag all but completly screwed down. The fish ran for 250 yards toward the Pacific and then broke off. He said it was like the reel wasn't even there.

Now, this didn't seem to be a typical event but it obviously happens and so it got me thinking, what Senator would be enough reel? Does the 6/0 offer significantly more drag than the 4/0? Enough to stop the real monsters (this one was assumed to be an ulua or a shark), or would you have to go into the International line? I really can't imagine the size of a fish that could do this, my first MARLIN was caught on a 4/0!

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

i would want to know that the reel was set up properly with the drag washers greased and the star cranked down to the proper drag setting before we start talking about whether a reel is strong enough or not.  i'll bet alot of guys got spooled with reels did not have their drags set properly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

This reel did look shiny new. I knew that the work in your tutorials made drags smooth and spools spin, but I didn't realize wet drags hold stronger.

Thanks Alan

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Aloha Ron. If its an older 4/0, it could be a 113 vs a 113H, or a 113H with a 3 stack washer set instead if 5. Greased carbon fiber washers are smoother and not jerky resulting in greater chances of break offs.  I think this is the greater cause of break offs than anything else.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

If that fish wants to take your line, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. Alan makes a good point, how you use your tool has alot to do with it. When the heat is on, the chance of screwing up  increases though.
I'm betting that reel is not a tank  :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Is the line capacity enough for the size of fish and drag available....

A reel with large line capacity & same drag could wear the fish out before it gets spooled.

I think I once caught a Submarine, no stopping it, no slowing down, Spooled in very short order - see ya.....
Could I have stopped it with a larger reel??  
I honestly dont think so...
It just felt to strong.. I was on the old Barg off Redondo Beach. (many years ago).
http://www.glumacefishing.com/2009/06/barge-fishing-as-a-kid/

Thats why we call it fishing, not catching...   lol :-)

I took a knife to a gun fight, even a gun would have been outgunned!!!  LOL

Sometimes your the Windshield, sometimes your the bug..............

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on September 02, 2012, 07:16:59 PM

I took a knife to a gun fight, even a gun would have been outgunned!!!  LOL

Sometimes your the Windshield, sometimes your the bug..............

X2! ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on September 02, 2012, 02:44:36 AM
i would want to know that the reel was set up properly with the drag washers greased and the star cranked down to the proper drag setting before we start talking about whether a reel is strong enough or not.  i'll bet alot of guys got spooled with reels did not have their drags set properly. 

I agree with Alan, not that I have to. ;D ;) ;D
If it was a new out-of-the-box reel and it didn't have the advantage of a pre-use service, that's one strike. Was it loaded with braid that wasn't anchored well (Strike two)? Yep, need more information.

If it was the Loch Ness Monster, a 30/0 reel probably wouldn't help much, either. ::)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

x3 - and despite the inevitable disappointment, it's great to know they're out there  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Isn't fishing in Hawaii great?  Certainly makes for exciting and memorable times.

The truth is that no matter what your reel is, you'll sometimes wish it were larger, faster, strong, better, etc.  Very large ulua have been caught on 4/0 reels in Hawaii.  Very large sharks have stripped 9/0 reels in Hawaii.

I started with a 6/0 reel, then went to 9/0, 12/0, and then 14/0.  The 14/0 reels were never stripped, but the 12/0s came close.  No, I don't think those large fish were ulua, but I don't know what they might have been since they never came up.

The point is that there is a decision point of how much armament you want to carry.  The bigger you go, there are advantages and certain serious disadvantages.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

George4741

Quote from: Makule on September 03, 2012, 04:48:58 AM
The point is that there is a decision point of how much armament you want to carry.  The bigger you go, there are advantages and certain serious disadvantages.

Good point, Albert. 
viurem lliures o morirem