Abu 6000 seems to be binding after replacing drag washers.

Started by yakfisher, September 13, 2012, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakfisher

Hi guys,
           Just replaced the stock drag washers in my 6000 with Smoothies greased lightly with Cal's grease. I stripped it right down and greased and replaced the parts following one of the tutorials. It all seems to have gone back together fine, except when I start to tighten the drag even slightly, the reel becomes quite hard to wind. The cast control knob is slackened right off so it's not that. 

The only thing that I wasn't completely sure about when replacing the washers was with the washer under the gear. The washer in the Smoothie set had a larger outer diameter than the standard one so the anti-reverse dog had to either go over the washer (sandwiching the washer and the gear) or under the washer so it just goes over the gear. It seemed to want to go under the washer so left it that way. 

Can anyone give me some advice on where I may have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Mark

Keta

The main gear is pinching the under washer and the ears of the anti reverse dog, call Dawn and have her send you one of the smaller Carbontex under washer for a non anti reverse bearing 6xxx or remove material from the OD of the one you have.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

yakfisher

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Keta on September 13, 2012, 01:00:24 PM
Yes

Ditto..    Thats it....

Use a Hobby knife or scissors and cut the washer down as needed.. 
Easy to work with...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

yeah, the drag is too big.  you need to carefully cut down the outside diameter so that the dog will clear. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yakfisher

yakfisher

Done - works great now. This is the first drag upgrade i've done and am pretty impressed with it. Can easily feel how much smoother it is even in high drag pressures just from pulling line out with my hands. 

Cheers for the help everyone.

Mark

Ken_D

Nice to learn you are out there again, chasing Mr. Big. good fishing.