Penn 85

Started by weedline, September 11, 2009, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedline

I was given a penn 85 and it is in good condition, it just needs drag washers and a spool. Do you think it is worth fixing and using?

alantani

not really, but it's a great reel to practice on it you want to learn to service penn reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

weedline

Ya i took it apart earlier and went through everything. I service all my old penns. The 140 squidder, 500 jigmaster an old 9/0 and 4/0 and a penn peerless and pier. I thought i might as well just fix it and put it up on a shelf so if i ever want to use it it will work. Maybe even fish with it once.

Brandon G

Hello!

I hope this thread isn't too old to add onto.

I have an No. 85, and I was reading through the 89b catalog and they were saying it was an "inland river" fishing reel. Now, I fish rivers A LOT when it is salmon time (PNW/WA state).
I have a few setups for rivers, but I would LOVE to clean up my 85 and use it, but I also don't want to waste my time.

Now that I read Mr. Tani doesn't think it is worth it, I'm extremely hesitant.

Is there any specific reasons it isn't worth the time? I am already in the process of servicing my 140, and 155, I was going to tackle the 85 (and a 67) next.
Tight Lines :)

akfish

The 85 has a very slow retrieve, and the stock handle isn't much to fish with. It will certainly work -- the drag is the same as a squidder -- but it would be much easier to actually land a salmon with a ,pre modern reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Brandon G

So, what I am hearing is 'send it' ... haha

thank you for the info!! I will probably just clean it and leave it on the shelf

Ron Jones

While I agree that they are old, I could see them being used for slow trolling cut bait, or something like that, especially for silvers or the weaker salmonids. I'm just getting into the salmon deal really, others would know better.

I love the size of the reel and have caught a number of fish on them, but you can do better today than the cost of upgrading.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brandon G

Well I agree there are really cheap modern choices, the drag washer kit is like 10 bucks tops and if you have the grease and wrench it's cheaper... unless you have to change other stuff out I guess.
Most of the reels I got were in really nice condition, which is probably the only reason I decided I could do something with them.
I might just leave the 85 alone and keep the Penns I'm upgrading to my surf collection.

I wish I had a boat, or knew someone with a boat so I could go trolling.

oc1

I've always liked the looks of those things. Beauty rings are so ostentatious.  With a reel like that I wouldn't be afraid of anything.  It's not going to explode.
-steve

foakes

Hey Joe -- and welcome!

It is nice to get opinions from as many folks as possible -- but don't get confused...your opinion and ideas about how to  proceed with and enjoy your new hobby -- are really all that count.

Have a plan -- work your plan -- make your plan work for you.

$$$ should not enter in when deciding whether or not to refurbish a tool.  A tool is less than useless when it is not serviced and ready to use.  It just clutters our life.

An old Penn 85 is a great reel.  Simple, basic, capable for what it was designed for.

So, adding another opinion -- restore that old 85 -- then you have a reel that can be used by you or someone else on a moment's notice.  And you will have gained more experience in the process.

Few years ago, I had a couple of crates of used Penn parts and inoperable reels.  Decided to see how many I could get completed before running out of parts.  Ended up with somewhere under 60, I think.  Many have been donated to others -- some sold -- some still in crates.  

Can any of us actually gauge the goodwill, friendship, and memories of fishing trips that we have helped others to foster?

Just by giving away a reel...

However, that reel must be serviced and ready to go -- or we are just transferring our junk to others to deal with.

Take pride, have a plan, enjoy the skills you are learning most of all -- and forget about the $$$ value.  Nothing we do costs much anyway.

Looks like you have a 155 sleeve coming -- but if anything else is needed, I might have it for you.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

Did the 85 have a 098-155 or a 098-060 gear sleeve? I thought it was 098-060 and it took 006 060 drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Brandon G

Quote from: foakes on April 19, 2020, 04:41:08 PM
Hey Joe -- and welcome!

It is nice to get opinions from as many folks as possible -- but don't get confused...your opinion and ideas about how to  proceed with and enjoy your new hobby -- are really all that count.

Have a plan -- work your plan -- make your plan work for you.

$$$ should not enter in when deciding whether or not to refurbish a tool.  A tool is less than useless when it is not serviced and ready to use.  It just clutters our life.

An old Penn 85 is a great reel.  Simple, basic, capable for what it was designed for.

So, adding another opinion -- restore that old 85 -- then you have a reel that can be used by you or someone else on a moment's notice.  And you will have gained more experience in the process.

Few years ago, I had a couple of crates of used Penn parts and inoperable reels.  Decided to see how many I could get completed before running out of parts.  Ended up with somewhere under 60, I think.  Many have been donated to others -- some sold -- some still in crates.  

Can any of us actually gauge the goodwill, friendship, and memories of fishing trips that we have helped others to foster?

Just by giving away a reel...

However, that reel must be serviced and ready to go -- or we are just transferring our junk to others to deal with.

Take pride, have a plan, enjoy the skills you are learning most of all -- and forget about the $$$ value.  Nothing we do costs much anyway.

Looks like you have a 155 sleeve coming -- but if anything else is needed, I might have it for you.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

I hope this was intended towards me and I am not missing something. My name is Brandon though.. haha so maybe not. It did have a lot of good info though!
I definitely am not gauging this by what it costs to repair/service the reel as those parts will last a long time and with good upkeep outlast any cheapo modern reel I could buy.
But at the same time, I'm still pretty young and have 2 young kids, so pinching pennies is a necessity, which is another reason I scooped up these reels initially; they were cheap.
When I initially bought them, I figured since they looked to be in good shape, I could fish them as is, which I could probably, but I have been engulfed with the idea of upgrading and servicing them.

This morning after reaching out to Mystic's customer service (the metal drag washers were not able to be added to cart, though they were in stock) I was able to place my order for upgrading my 140 Squidder.
Now I just need to find a wrench. I probably should have just added one to my order... ahh crawdads.

Those tubs of reels look like a blast to just paw through haha Did you purchase a lot of those for parts or did they accrue over years?

foakes

Sorry Brandon --

Saw Joseph also in your email -- and assumed wrong.

I'm the first one to pinch pennies -- and also know that these old Penn reels are very good performers -- just with stock parts and generally a greased CF drag upgrade along with a new under gear washer.  No need to break the bank.

Having serviced and repaired reels for well over 40 years -- it is easy to look impressive.  But these are just a few of the reels that I service and keep for trades, loaners, sales -- just surplus.  Most were just made from parts lying around -- but  most are correct with new drags, full cleanups and service. 

Am in the process of reducing the inventory this year of parts and extra surplus reels.

I was just recommending you to fix up that old 85 instead of just gathering dust on a back shelf -- but that is your call.

PM me your full name and address -- and Iwill send you a Penn wrench.  N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brandon G

Fred! No problem, I just didn't want to be ... interrupting another person conversation haha
I never thought about being able to go by Joe... that could have opened up some good avenues as a teenager... LOL

Well, I definitely will keep the 85 on my 'to do list! I just didn't want to be fixing up something that would not be worth fixing up even if it was free to do so.
*cough* If you need a place to send that extra surplus, I have room in my garage *cough* hahaha