Shimano stella 4000 FE HELP!!!!!

Started by Joakim W, September 23, 2012, 11:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joakim W

Quote from: Clem on October 24, 2012, 04:47:45 AM
Also, 140gm (5 oz) is a fair weight for a 4000 to be working...add water resistance etc

I agree with that

Joakim W

Quote from: Killerbug on October 27, 2012, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: Joakim W on September 25, 2012, 05:45:34 PM
I have fished with pretty heavy baits, from jiggs to big swimbaits, it is mounted on a Danish made Edge rod 8,6 ft with lure weight up to 140 grams, its just that ive heard about the power in the smaller stella reels that it takes no effort to turn the handle and so on. i just got confused because it felt a bit heavy to reel it with like a cisco kid 1800 and lures like that in the other end.

Hejsan Joakim,  I service the Stella on regular basis, though only the larger models, in the 10000-20000 range.

If only feels hard to wind while fishing, everything is normal, if it's giving some resistance just by winding it, let Shimano have a look at it.

If the reel is new, it's unlikely that any bearings are broke, more likely the rubber band that brakes the rotor(so it do not turn while casting) is rotten.  If the reel have been lying on a shelf for some years in the store, this is possible.

I rip the Cisco kid 1800, as well as Super magnum Dawgs with a baitcaster, if I just wind them in, the result is heavy resistance. That's why I(and 99% of pike and musky fishermen) use a baitcaster with a power handle for this kind of fishing.  The torqe on most spinning reels are simply not high enough.  If you used a stiffer rod, you would also feel less resistance, but that's another story.  The Stella is a very popular reel among jiggers and poppers, but they rip their baits to,seldom they just wind them in.  Try ripping that would for sure work great with your reel, you might even catch more pike ;)

HallÄ Danmark! :)

the reel works fine i understand that now, it was just the resitance in the water with heavy lures that turned me up side down.

Many thanks Joakim

Killerbug

Skit fiske!, the Stellas are fine reels, and very strong reels. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time