My Hot Rodded Penns

Started by VW, September 28, 2012, 06:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW

Thought I would show my customized Penns.  All have SS sleeves and yokes, full HT 100 drag washers, Smooth Drag metal washers.  They have SS screws that are longer than the originals.

The 112H has Accurate 5:1 gears, both 113H have Newell 4:1.  The 114H has standard Penn 2.8:1, steel main gear.

One of the 505's has Newell 4:1 gears,  use it on my "heaver" surf rod.  The other has Newell 5:1.  Am currently building a rod for casting artificials with it.  Think I would like to change it to 99 size, but the larger line capacity is a plus too.

Oh yeah, both of the 505's have magnets.  They work great.

Almost everything was acquired off e-bay over at least 5 years, maybe longer.  No, I did not pay premium prices. There are deals if you are patient.    

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

VW,

Nice reels, I like that color combination of the maroon and silver. You mentioned that you have magnets in the 505's. Ive asked about magnetic cast control but all I get are "crickets" (little to no response); would you mind explaining how you did this say in another post?

Thanx,

Leo

VW

To understand it one needs to research eddy current, and Lenz's Law/Lenz Effect.  Here is the simplest explanation I have seen.

A spool made from a material that conducts electricity will produce an eddy current when it revolves (in a magnetic field).
The faster it turns the stronger the current.
The closer the magnet is to the spool/eddy current the greater the braking effect.

That comes from a guy named Gowge.  He was a pioneer in applying all this to fishing reels. Search his name and you will find a lot of info.

Here is a short video showing that it does work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=E97CYWlALEs

How to do it?  Mount magnets to the inside of the left (non-handle) side plate.  There isn't enough room under the right plate.  The ends of the magnets should be very close to the face of the spool, but not touching it.  One magnet will produce a certain amount of force/effect.  Two magnets (with same polarity) will double it.  An interesting phenomena is if you reverse the polarity of the magnets (one facing north, the other facing south) the result will be an even greater effect.

I believe there has been some discussion on this forum.  You will have to search for it.

eta: I really thought the guys name was Gowge.  Turns out his name was George Pope and that was a nick name he went by.  He passed a few years ago.  A quick search turned up some tributes but none of the info I had seen before.      

Keta

Nice reels and thanks for the link.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

Very nice reels.  Also, thank for the review on magging a reel.  I just magged (used 3) a Penn 60 with a chrome spool but have not tested it yet.  I know aluminum spools work the best but I was told the mags should have some effect on a chrome spool as well.
I am going to use this reel for surf fishing.

John

alantani

not sure why the photos came out so small.  did you copy the [img] code or some other?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

I do...

I think you posted the IMG code to the thumbnail of your pic at Imageshack. You can see the blablabla/.th./yada in the  IMG url.

You need to open the pic itself at full size at imageshack and copy THAT url instead.

Edit:

Yup. Works. Really, i just removed the .th. part of your pic url.
However, gigantic pics like that are really a bit of a pain in the ####-- they are simply too big.

Bill B

Nice work!! the electro--magnet--thingy---theory---...how well is it working?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

VW

Quote from: Robert Janssen on September 29, 2012, 08:52:30 AM
I do...

I think you posted the IMG code to the thumbnail of your pic at Imageshack.

That was it.  Did not understand there was another step to get to the full size image. They do display a little larger than I hoped, but not too big. Thanks!

Tarfu,

Works great.  Am probably losing some distance but do not get birds nests either.  I am in the mid-west and do not get to use my gear as much as many others on this forum.  Hope I get better eventually and can decrease the number of magnets.

LTM

Thanx VW for the theory of ops for mag control and the info and links.

Leo

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

These reels are absolute beauties. The magnetic spool braking system is found on most baitcasters and it has the advantage of being instantly tunable and without opening the non handle side as with the friction based system. The same system is present in the Mag series and the succeding series the Squall star drag.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Alto Mare

I've never seen those, beautiful reels VW.
Thanks for sharing.

Ps how do you get the plates to sparkle like that?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.