Circle hooks- offset vs non offset

Started by rscotth, October 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buitrechico

Any opinion about Owner Mutu Light circle hooks for surfcasting?
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

UKChris

Interesting thread - thanks.

It reminds me of a very good skipper I fished in the UK with - now retired. He always said "Wind 'em on, don't try to pull their bl@@dy heads off!" no matter what the species or what the hook. Seems to work.

But I do have days when kirbed or offset hooks seem to pull, when straight hooks won't stick or when circles hook too deep - but that is just one of them days and the onyl thing to do is go with the flow and try something different.

FirePro911

This is a must have tool to remove hooks buried to deep. I see it is on sale and will order a second one now for the boat. It is great for those circle hooks that do get swallowed and flips them out in an instance doing no harm to the fish.

The Fisherman's Assistant

Bryan Young

Quote from: FirePro911 on April 26, 2013, 11:06:40 AM
This is a must have tool to remove hooks buried to deep. I see it is on sale and will order a second one now for the boat. It is great for those circle hooks that do get swallowed and flips them out in an instance doing no harm to the fish.

The Fisherman's Assistant
That's like what we use for keeper trout.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MFB

I use 2/0 circle hooks for Gurnard & leave the rod in the rod holder until it nods then just wind them up. Have never lost a fish this way & the are never gut hooked. Also use 10/0 & 12/0 for Groper fishing even with braid there is no way you can strike at 150-200 metres.

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

BMITCH

Firepro, thanks for the link. Need to try this one.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

That's a neat little gadget. I don't think it will work on a 20/0 in a Sharks Jawbone though. This is what I use and it works great at popping those Circles out when they hook correctly in the corner of the mouth.
As far a offset and non offset, I'm still up in the air on this one. This one was hooked perfectly, the next one with the same hook got it in the roof of the mouth and I couldn't get it out. These are straight 20/0 Mustad Circles. I tried to reach it with the bolt cutters and he would have nothing to do with it.
I still use Big J hooks. (Seamasters), but that's only on one setup. Everything else, I use circles, both offset and non-offset. 10,12,14,16,18 and 20/0s. Sorry Alan and Dom. I love Circle Hooks! :)
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Daron I think that is a sea demon in that pic
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

It is a Sea-Demon. I personally think circle hooks are alright. They work well if you know how to use them, but i use J's. Why? I was raised with them, and I know how to use them. I never gut-hook, excluding cats, of course. So J's for me, all day everyday, but as long as you know what you're doing, you can use whatever hook you darn please. IMO.

jonathan.han

Quote from: buitrechico on January 03, 2013, 12:13:50 AM
Any opinion about Owner Mutu Light circle hooks for surfcasting?

They are great. I also put a ring on them for fishing smaller anchovies for our local albacore. I pull very hard with 30# fluoro and have not seen one straighten or pull out. I also, use them for mooching salmon. The key is to run a tighter drag than you would with a J-hook to bury it the bony corner of the mouth. Can be tougher to get out which is why you don't pull as many hooks as you would when fishing Js. When you see the rod load up, then just reel.

I don't understand how people can not help setting the hook. I just don't understand this. Most people who say they hate circles have this tendency due to an adrenaline rush. I think a taser rigged to the rod handle with an accelerometer may help train Pavlov's dog.
raw instinct

Shark Hunter

Sea Demon, Sea master, Its just a big J. Thanks Grayson. My haywire twist need some work.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Yeah on wire that big, it can help to have some sort of leverage. The seamasters are 10x stronger if yo can Find them, anything with an inward facing point/southern tuna style
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I have some 14/0 Gama's coming from Davin.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Those are some nasty hooks, if I was gonna run a big circle those would be it
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

Shark hunter, a pair of small vice grips helps hold the wire loop while you twist the heavy wire.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur