tld 5

Started by cyanredagain, October 04, 2012, 03:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyanredagain

I'm new to this forum so not sure where to post this.

My next re-build is going to be my old late 80's Shimano TLD-5 and I am wondering what all I will need to do a good rebuild and upgrade.
I searched this site and got all the info I could but it's kinda all over the place and hit and miss..lots of it is old and i'm sure there is new
info and upgrades maybe? If I can get a good idea of parts and upgrades needed, then I can use the tutorial that Alan yanked off another
website that is now on here. Or I can follow the tld15 tutorial from Alan.

Thanks in advance.
Al

redsetta

G'day and welcome Al,
You're on the right track - Alan's 15 tutorial is the best starting point (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=41.0).
I did a 10 upgrade a while back, which may be of some use - here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3999.0
Good luck - they're great little reels.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

cyanredagain

Howdy Redsetta,

I saw your tld 10 rebuild. excellent tutorial. I'm trying to get a list of all the parts. I know theres the drag from Dawn at smoothdrag and I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that she has the bellawhatever wierdo washers or maybe that was Alan. I got to look into that. I understand that a lot of the 5 and 10 parts are interchangable. where did you get your stuff? I'm not sure the ceramic bearings are worth it. It's not like I'm on a Marlin every other day LOL. I took it apart last night and except for old dried grease, there was very little corrosion internaly so that's good. Drag looked brand new. The one part that looked like it had the most wear is the two washers that go behind the drag lever. one metal and one plastic or nylon.
Thanks for the info.

Al

redsetta

G'day Al,
The bellevilles are part #TT-40A.
If you have any trouble locating some, I can post up a couple no problem.
However, you may want to upgrade the drag washer to greased CF (from Dawn) first, and see how you go.
Depending on the line weight, you might find the upgraded bellevilles ramp up the drag too fast/strong.
Ceramics probably aren't necessary either - S/S bearings treated with TSI301 will do the trick.
The other parts you mention are #TLD15 (Lever Thrust Ring) and #TLD59 (Spacer).
Good luck, Justin
PS Schematic here, if you need it: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_TLD_5_1987.pdf

cyanredagain

Howdy redsetta,

Thanks for the info. I was on Dawn's site today. I'm gonna order the drag washer and the s.s. bearings. I have a little play in he main gear. just a little side to side play when your reeling. Is this normal? It's a little annoying when your bringing a decent size fish in especial when added to the tld5 sloppy ant-back lash.

I noticed you start every post with "G-day Mate". I take it your from down under? If so are you familiar with Northwest Cape, village of Exmouth? I spent four years there.

Al

redsetta

That's just habit I s'pose Al.
I'm in the North Island of NZ.
Exmouth is in the West Island - aka Oz  ;) ;D

cyanredagain

Gotcha Justin,

I didn't think to look at your bio before I posted that LOL. You live in the no 1 place on my list that I have to get to with a
fishing pole before I keel over.

Al