Request from friend

Started by dustin.brace, October 20, 2012, 07:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

My fishing buddy, Alan, is in the market for a new conventional reel. He has used his Jigg 500 to death over the last 20 years. He asked what I would suggest so I thought that I might as well ask for your advise.

He typically fishes on trips of no longer than 1.5 days in duration. His casting form is not the greatest but he is a pretty good fisherman. He would like to spend up to $175, a relatively low number, I know. He wants something new. Star drag is fine. Any suggestions? Feel free to post any questions you have.

Thanks!
" height="90" width="160

SoCalAngler

A little more info would be good will be like what pound/kg line he will use and maybe the yardage he would like on his reel.

Ron Jones

If he is in the market for a Jigmaster replacement, I would recommend the Daiwa Sealine X, Seagate or Saltist of whatever size he needs. Probably a 20. However, if he rebuilt his 500, he would spend much less money and have just as nice a reel. Better in many ways, actually. Their are a bunch of people on this board that would do it for a ludicrously small amount of money compared to a new reel.

Now, if he "wants" a new reel? Everyone on this board can understand that clearly. I love my Sealines and my Penns. So, let the fun begin!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

dustin.brace

Quote from: SoCalAngler on October 20, 2012, 08:08:48 PM
A little more info would be good will be like what pound/kg line he will use and maybe the yardage he would like on his reel.

He never seems to use anything more than 40lb and yardage just needs to be appropriate for a 30-40lb tuna. I bought his Jigmaster off of him so he won't be rebuilding it, I am. For now he is borrowing a reel from me. Right now we are catching Yellowtail but he wants something that will be a kind of "all-around" reel. Good for tuna of the above mentioned size and 1/2 day boats.
" height="90" width="160

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Keta

So far my Penn Fathom 25N has been a good reel and is similar in size/capacity to the 501.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain