Daiwa LD50H drag

Started by offthetar, October 27, 2012, 03:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offthetar

Wondering if any one knows about the drag washer on LD50H the one i have is buggered that means no good in Australia any help greatly welcome

alantani

uggh. that's the old reel with particle board for a drag washer.  i've tried to replace those with carbon fiber, but they are too thick and i never could get the spacing right. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

offthetar

Thanks Alan could you tell me ,can you glue carbontex washers together and may be work it back to size.

alantani

it's just a thickness issue.  you could grind down the particle board and then glue a thin carbon fiber drag washer to it.  the important thing is that the height/thickness be the same. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

offthetar

just rang daiwa aust and order new drag plate its on its way didn't think they would still have them thanks for your help great work alan.

Bryan Young

Didn't Justin (Redsetta) do something with this reel to bring it up to today's standards? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Hi Bryan,
Unfortunately not - that was a Daiwa Ventura.
Good luck OTT, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ijlal

I have upgraded my LD50H's drag finally!

you can try this:

* Take two carbontex washers of approx. 1.2mm thickness each, cut them to the size of LD50H's drag washer,

* Properly scrape the stock wooden washer off the aluminum plate

* Glue one carbontex washer on the business end of the aluminum plate using two tube epoxy such as Araldite and leave to set for 24 hour with a flat heavy object pressing it down.

* Grease the drag washers and the spool side with Cals, insert the loose carbontex washer in between the spool and the glued drag washer.

* Screw down the drag washer assembly gently, stopping when the screws need extra force. With space underneath the aluminum plate, we do not want the plate disfigured due to fully tightening the screws. You may use a little Loctite on each screw so they do not come off during a fight.

* Take off one of the five bellevilles on the left side of the spool (Key #23) and install the remaining in ()() configuration.

None of this has affected my reel's free spool and I am getting 15+ lb of drag at strike 2 setting without losing any free spool.

If you can get 1 mm thick carbon washers, you probably won't have to remove the fifth belleville.

Enjoy!
I live 'fishing'!

thorhammer

ijlal

I live 'fishing'!