Triton trolling series

Started by yockman, October 16, 2009, 09:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yockman

G'day Alan,

Fantastic site you've put up - a service to the fishermen of the world.

Have you got anything about general service/upgrade of the old shimano triton trolling series 30's and 50's? I've got 6 of these old sluggers and love every one of them.

Cherrs,
Yock

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yockman

Thanks Alan.

I saw that post and thought the glen pamaran bit referred to the beastmaster 50/80, not the TTS 30's and 50's.

I'm in Tasmania on the other side of the world so freight would probably make this unviable. I'll have a crack at one myself before the big bluefin arrive.

Cheers,
Yock

alantani

yeah, yours is single speed.  (glad some is paying attention.)  it has a canvas drag washer that needs to stay clean and dry!  good luck.  alan

yockman

Goodoh! 

Otherwise not too different to a tld (I'm hoping). I'll let you know how it goes

Yock

yockman

I cracked it open a couple of nights ago - not like a tld at all. Different ratchet set-up and a few smaller things. the main difference is that the drag is on the opposite side to tld's.

One snag was that I couldn't budge the drag cover, no matter how much pressure I applied so that area remains untouched. Anyone got tips for undoing these?

Everything inside was in great nick, especially for a year that's at leat 25 y.o.

Yock

alantani

i can't remember if the spool cap has right handed threads or left.  check both ways........

triumphrick

Quote from: alantani on October 22, 2009, 12:21:39 AM
i can't remember if the spool cap has right handed threads or left.  check both ways........

It removes counter-clockwise!

exp2000

Quote from: yockman on October 20, 2009, 07:48:50 PM
I cracked it open a couple of nights ago - not like a tld at all. Different ratchet set-up and a few smaller things. the main difference is that the drag is on the opposite side to tld's.

One snag was that I couldn't budge the drag cover, no matter how much pressure I applied so that area remains untouched. Anyone got tips for undoing these?

Everything inside was in great nick, especially for a year that's at leat 25 y.o.

Yock

If it does not have provision for a special tool, you can try using a leather strap type oil filter wrench.
~

josa1

Hi Yockman,

I did a tutorial on the TTS 50W and posted on Alan's site.  Right now it's on Page 7 of the Shimano topics, about a quarter of the way down the page.  I think it will cover all you need to know.  I still use the canvas drag washers with good success.

Here is a link.  Note this site has almost 11.5K hits so I think that there's a lot of people using it.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7895.0

Let me know if you need any help, I'm pretty familiar with these reels.

josa1