Excessive spool movement

Started by Johne230, November 12, 2012, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johne230

I have a Symetre 4000 and the spool has developed excessive up and down movement about a 1/4". I took a look inside and dont see any worn or broken parts although I did not dis assemble the reel. I thought you might shed some light on the problem.

Thanks
                                                                  John

Alto Mare

Hello John, I'm not really familiar with that reel, but I would check at the crosswind area first.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Johne230.
Which model,front or rear drag?
Spool may not be seating properly,remove and ensure it's fully seated before refitting drag knob.

alantani

in other words, it's the spool shaft that is moving a quarter of an inch? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Johne230

Quote from: alantani on November 12, 2012, 07:45:18 PM
in other words, it's the spool shaft that is moving a quarter of an inch? 

Yes sorry it is the spool shaft and it is a front drag

fisher480

Is this with the drag tight? Without the drag tight this could be normal. If the drag is tight then the ocsilllating area of the reel is the only place to look. I have seen loose screws on the mechanism. Remove the side plate and recheck. Also excessive wear in that area which I haven't seen even on my brother-in-law's abuse Symetre's.

Cone

With that much play you should be able to see something. Is the worm shaft moving back and forth. Check for wear on the worm and pawl make shure the shaft is secured, etc. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Johne230

Quote from: Cone on November 13, 2012, 02:19:00 AM
With that much play you should be able to see something. Is the worm shaft moving back and forth. Check for wear on the worm and pawl make shure the shaft is secured, etc. Bob

I will dig a little further.

Cone

I would probably take off the spool and remove the rotor so I could take off the sideplate. Then i would move the shaft in and out while I watched. Just a suggestion. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

alantani

ok, http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Spinning/00SY4000FH_v1_m56577569830642076.pdf

the main shaft, key # 6514, attaches at the base somehow.  you can see the hole at the bottom of the shaft in the schematic.  that is where it came loose. i might attach to the oscillating slider, key #6370. 

Johne230

Quote from: alantani on November 14, 2012, 05:39:49 PM
ok, http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Spinning/00SY4000FH_v1_m56577569830642076.pdf

the main shaft, key # 6514, attaches at the base somehow.  you can see the hole at the bottom of the shaft in the schematic.  that is where it came loose. i might attach to the oscillating slider, key #6370. 

Thanks Alen I checked out what you said and found that the main shaft is attached and fine. I finally broke down the whole reel and found that the bushings on the worm gear are worn and the pawl needs replacing unfortunatly parts are no longer available not even from Shimano I think that is a shame that spare parts are discontinued so soon after a reel goes out of production. I guess I will be looking for a replacement. Thanks for all your help.

alantani

get me some part numbers and i will see what i have. 

Bryan Young

John, try call Shimano again and ask for a recommendation of a shop thatay have the parts. You'll never know. There's a lot of new old stock parts out there, and the secret is finding it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D