abu garcia 2500c

Started by realmedic, November 20, 2009, 05:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realmedic

Hi Guys, Alan!

i have a buddy who is bring'n me a abu garcia 2500c not sure of the year yet untill i look at the reel seat.
he had the gear in it replaced but the gear is a 3.1 he is wanting me to replace the gear and upgrade the real to a 5.1 gear ratio. where i can i purchase the parts needed for this upgrade?

alantani

you know, the guys at http://www.southwesternparts.com/ or http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/ might know.  because it is an odd size, i'll bet that there is no 5:1 gear option.  if there is, then call ambassaduer at 1.800.228.4272.  you could call ambassaduer first.  they should know, but you know how that goes........  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

i did call abu garcia and the tech there doesnt know what imtalking about. what about getting a 6.3.1 or something for that reel?

realmedic

got the parts ordered. abu garcia sent me to a lenns repair in iowa so i should be good to go.

Alan tried to contact dawn the smooth drag lady to order washers and bearings but she had not answered phone in 3 days so i went to lake fork tackle repair and boca bearings what a great way to spend 300 dollars  ;D

realmedic

Alan,

well i found out something quite intersting i thought i'd share with you. abu garcia did make a 2500c in 1977 but it was the 1976 model. i was able to find the transmission which was part number 10213 which i was able to purchase at a shop abu garcia refered me to. i pulled out the old transmission only to find it was made out of aluminum and plastic  :o looked like someone tried to make do with what they could find however the transmission i got was brass. the reel was just filthy i mean as dirty as a working gal on nickel night with a pocket full of change.  :o i was quite suprised to see that much dirt and the reel still being operational. well i cleaned her up and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get this reel spotless, relubed with new transmission in an back in proper working order.   for a reel made in 1977 she now runs like a dream.

oh before i forget i found out also that back then abu garcia did not make a 5.1 gear ratio but they made a 4:7:1  ;D

RM

alantani

anyone that thinks you can make a living at fishing reel repair should read this........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

right you are Alan but if i didnt love doing reels i wouldnt mess with it  ;D

realmedic

Quote from: realmedic on December 02, 2009, 02:11:41 AM
right you are Alan but if i didnt love doing reels i wouldnt mess with it  ;D

only way i can see making a living out of reel repair is you earn a couple of bucks and a good buddy hooks you up with some decent fish  ;D