Converting a 1 piece rod to 2 piece and split grip

Started by inhotpursuit, January 06, 2013, 09:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inhotpursuit

I have had this David Vance lake fork frog and jig rod for over two years, never used it because i prefer to use my 7' corkish with a split grip and besides carrying a one piece rod is such a pain in the @ss
so today i cut the damn thing in half making sure the tip was 4 inches longer than the butt piece

i then took a piece of scrap fibre glass and using my calipers cut a piece of the fibre glass to fit the inside of the butt piece i then reinforced the fibreglass by inserting a piece of graphite scrap

after epoxing the two i end up with a male ferrule 10 inches long  of which 5 " will protrude

Very important make sure that the taper is the same on the ferrule as the rod blank also sand down the ferrule that is to be epoxied inside the blank a slight bit more than the protruding part to compensate for the epoxy(i did not and had to carefully remove 1/8 inch from the blank so that it would fit tight)

to epoxy the ferrule i inserted the epoxied ferrule into the but end pulled it through and whipped on some parachute cord to the ferrule then hung a downrigger weight to the cord this will ensure that the ferrule protrudes fully

Because the rod is a heavy fast action i decided it might be prudent to further reinforce the ferrules, i added a outer sheath ferrule into the mix this will actually now be one of the stronger parts of the rod rather than the weakest.

While the epoxy sets  i decide to make it a split grip
so i carefully cut away some cork

i then place the butt in my wrapping jig and using a sewing machine motor as a lathe i sand to shape

after fine sanding i end up with this

then i epoxy the bare graphite and seal the cork on the drying jig

Ok so i epoxied the male ferrule into the butt section and epoxied the outer sheath ferrule to the tip and wrapped it heres the finished joint.

how it looks joined

the finished split grip

Tile

I like your idea a lot. The  male ferrule usually is the stronger but the female one is the weaker and by putting the sheath on the female end the rod will work better at high loads without the risk of breaking at the ferrule. Also I like the work on the split grip.
In solid fiberglass we trust

inhotpursuit

Thanks tile the bottom guide on the tip is also directly over the male ferrule so the wrapping also ads reinforcement to the joint