oil dispenser

Started by sharkrider, January 11, 2013, 10:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkrider

Alan per your recomendations I bought some 301 oil and was wondering how and what you used to dispense it? You were saying a drop was enough for the bearings? Also should I lube them afterwards, I clean and lube my reels two or three times a year( a little bit overboard I know, but i know my reels are ready for whatever I put them through.

Please advise.
Thanks

alantani

i use a q-tip, or just dip the parts into the can. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sharkrider

Thanks, I'm still looking for a small dispenser, but finding one that's metal isn't easy.

Alto Mare

I've been using a plastic bottle with a ss needle for well over a year now with no issues. Just don't apply any labols or mark the bottle with permanent marker, they're no match to the 301.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I tried the Magic Marker thing. All I have left is T I
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SoCalAngler

I use TSI 321 and put it in a applicator bottle by a company called Wapsi. I was able to get the empty bottles from a fly fishing shop close to where I live or do a google search if this is what your looking for.

Don't let the size of this pic confuse you the bottle is 1/2 fluid oz in real life and works well for oiling my bearings.

day0ne

I just pour some into a SS 2-3 oz cup I got at Walmart in the kitchen section and drop the bearing in. I let the bearing dry on a paper towel or rag and if the 301 is still clean, pour it back into the can. This way I can do a bunch of bearings and if something contaminates the 301, I haven't ruined the whole can. These work also but not as well:

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Rod-Building-Supplies/3-Disposable-Foil-Epoxy-Mixing-Dish
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

SoCalAngler

I like the applicator bottle because after cleaning the bearings with brake/carb cleaner the first time all I have to do is oil them. In most cases I dont even have to take the spool fully apart to oil them after the first cleaning and oiling. Now if I needed to fully clean them maybe dipping them in the 301 would be good but I don't see that need in my reels if I keep them lubed, thats why I use the 321. I need the lube more than the cleaning.

bluefish69

There is a link to buy these bottles. I have 2 in use now. I can't find the link. Sorry

RowdyW

Try a search on e bay. Thats where the link was posted from before but I don't know where that post is either.   Rudy

borchcl

Here is a link to Brownells, needle oilers. I have used them with good results.
Charlie

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=needle+oiler&ksubmit=y

bluefish69

That's the bottles that you want. That might even be a better price then I paid.