Applying Cal's Grease

Started by striper15, January 14, 2013, 06:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

striper15

Hey Guys –

First post, so bear with me if this is a redundant question. Don't mean it to be.  Received 3 sets of carbontex drag washers from Smooth Drag today for my Calcutta TE and Curado reels thanks to this site. Wanted to know the proper way to apply Cal's grease; do you grease the carbontex washers or the reel's metal  drag washers? Or both?  Also, how do you know when you have the right amount grease applied. Lastly, how often do you need to re-apply the grease?

Great site here with a ton of helpful info for us DIYers. Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Eric

johndtuttle

First off, don't stress. It's not rocket science  ;D.

If you go through the archives on the topic you come across a post where the idea is to fully impregnate the washer, then wipe off the excess so that you see a thumb print left behind when pressed against the washer.

Slather some on there, so that every nook and cranny is filled (you want this to prevent saltwater from getting in anywhere) then wipe it off with a rag so that it has just a thin coat on top.

This is the ideal way. many half measures are more than adequate until the drag gets wet, then the right way has it's benefits.

best

Nessie Hunter

I always use a finger and/or Q-tip...
First I apply it inside the Main gear, making sure to get all the nooks and crannies...
Also making sure I get some into the Eared grooves..

Then I apply it to washers with finger spreading it and rubbing it in.   No excess here.
Then a thin coat on metal washers also, trying to get it into center hole and edges (very thin coat).

I work my way up the stack this way, trying to get a light coat on all surfaces and edges..

If some does squish out it just adds to the water tightness I am looking for...
But the light coat keeps this to a minimum.....

When I first started using it years & years ago, I put it on much heavier..
Later service showed me I was using to much, as it squished out all over...
Doesnt hurt anything if it does....   But learned less is more (not wasted)....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!