Penn 50T rebuild

Started by kamuwela, December 04, 2009, 11:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

Tools of the trade yamaha lube and drag grease a must!!

I lubricate all screws with corrosion x to prevent breakage

NOTE: broken quadrant screw

Remove handle locking plate (key #: 110A)

Remove handle screw using penn reel tool (key #: 23)

Remove bridge cover (key #: 124)

NOTE: salt intrusion

More salt intrusion

Remove right side plate assembly (key #: 1)

NOTE: hardened grease, salt intrusion on inside of right plate assembly

Remove spool assembly (key #: 29L)

Drag washer (key #: 117)

It's hard to see, but more salt on clicker plate (key #: 81)

salt, salt, and MORE salt!

even MORE salt.

Spool bearings (key #: 55), not even worth trying to save

I use WD40 to wash and lubricate all parts except drag washer before reassembling

Main gear assembly

Broken quadrant screw after removal

Remove shields and grease bearings reinstall shields

Repacked bearings before reinstalling shields

Light coat of grease on spool

I used locktite only on these screws because i found a few that have come loose

Grease the drag washer

Finished  drag washer

Left plate assembly key #: 27

Lets install the main gear assembly,be sure to lube stud key # : 134 and coupling plate key #:119

Install main gear first, then shaft

Attach connecting plate(key #: 119 to drive gear (key #: 5)

Both side plates, lightly coated with grease to prevent salt damage

Completed right side plate assmebly

Install pinion shaft in spool NOTE: added 5th belleville washer () () Stock configuration changed to: ((())

Spool sleeve made from alluminum

Install drag washer and cover

Install spool and left side plate assembly

Grease around pinion, just for my own peace of mind i think i have salt a phobia

Light coat of grease on clicker plate

Grease all hole's  to prevent salt intrusion. i brush grease on screw threads by habit
because on reels with frames the tollerance's are tight and no place for the grease to escape.
i noticed screws hard to tighten all the way down, too much grease and force the screws will cause frame cracking in my opinion. i may be wrong but dont want to find out the hard way.

thanks alan for letting me post this on your page. i wanted to show how bad salt can be on those high dollar reels. reels take a beating trolling here in hawaii, but a little service and some prevention will go along way. i think this shows why reels should be serviced before 1st use. i am glad i could rescue these reels and i need to thank you alan for giving me the reel repair bug         aloha  kamu

realmedic

wonderful post and rebuild kamuwela . i hope alan adds this to the penn section!

kamuwela

Quote from: realmedic on December 04, 2009, 11:15:14 PM
wonderful post and rebuild kamuwela . i hope alan adds this to the penn section!
thank you and aloha  just not even close to alans tutorials though

realmedic

thats ok though i cant even get close to what alan can do but it dont stop me from learning and trying.  i'm just greatful i have a wonderful techer like alan, and my other friend on mikes reel forum ken. with out those 2 guys i'd be lost  ;)

alantani

thank you very much!  i copied it over to the penn board.  also, i use an antique nikon coolpix 4200 camera.  it's only 4 megapixels, but it has a macro close up function and it will allow you to color balance any light source.  i bought one new for $250.  then now sell used on ebay for $20-40.  for this type of work, it's a GREAT little camera.  please check it out.  it will totally eliminate blurry and off color photos.  alan

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Coolpix-4200-4-0-Megapixel_W0QQitemZ180442637406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item2a0338245e
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2009, 11:50:04 PM
thank you very much!  i copied it over to the penn board.  also, i use an antique nikon coolpix 4200 camera.  it's only 4 megapixels, but it has a macro close up function and it will allow you to color balance any light source.  i bought one new for $250.  then now sell used on ebay for $20-40.  for this type of work, it's a GREAT little camera.  please check it out.  it will totally eliminate blurry and off color photos.  alan

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Coolpix-4200-4-0-Megapixel_W0QQitemZ180442637406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item2a0338245e
thank you very much alan for the opertunity. camera 1st then 130 tiagra tutorial next  aloha  kamu

realmedic

alan thats awsome thanks you for that infomation on the camera. that is something im going to look into once a make a but more on a few reels i do  ;) ;D