Penn Int. 80TW

Started by Roger, December 11, 2009, 12:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Alan, about two hours ago my son walked into the house with one. It's got to be the biggest reel I've ever seen. It belongs to his boss and had been missing for about five years. That's another story. Anyway I've been looking at schematics for it and and the 50T rebuild that was just posted look quite similar. Am I correct on that? Also, Ive been try to find any other info on it and haven't come up with anything. Would you might know of any specs? Sprayed all the screws down with kroil and gonna let it set for a day and maybe start on it Saturday. Any help on line capacity, drag rating any other specs. sure would help.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

Quote from: Roger on December 11, 2009, 12:30:31 AM
Alan, about two hours ago my son walked into the house with one. It's got to be the biggest reel I've ever seen. It belongs to his boss and had been missing for about five years. That's another story. Anyway I've been looking at schematics for it and and the 50T rebuild that was just posted look quite similar. Am I correct on that? Also, Ive been try to find any other info on it and haven't come up with anything. Would you might know of any specs? Sprayed all the screws down with kroil and gonna let it set for a day and maybe start on it Saturday. Any help on line capacity, drag rating any other specs. sure would help.
only differnce is the 80 should have a dual drag, and larger bearings. 2.71 single speed, 950 yds  80lb test, weight 85.5 oz ,first manufactured in the late 80s, one piece frame. the 50t that i recently posted did not have a full frame. but more or less its almost identical.  you can also add a 5th belleville like the 50t                      aloha kamu  honolulu

Roger

Thanks Kamu, that's a good start. 950 yds, that's a lot a line. I'd have to get a loan just to put line on it. 85.5 ozs, that's almost 5 1/2 lbs. yep, it's heavy. Thanks again......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

we use mostly 130# reel's here and we use small diameter line.we usually troll with atleast 5 reels and filled with  150#mono. runs about a little over $100 per spool so about $300 for 5 reels. ive never tried braided with top shot, sounds like a plan need to check cost. one thing i worry about is the spool and corrosion. here in hawaii we fish year round so replacing line and service go hand in hand. any input about braided and top shot would be greatly appreciated              aloha kamu

alantani

i went looking around and couldn't find any specs.  maybe send an e-mail to penn. 

http://www.pennreels.com/
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Alan, I did that, they sent me about the same stuff that Kamu had said but also added the drag that listed 40 - 45 lbs at strike with freespool. Thanks for looking though. I've had the screws soaking for a couple of days and started to take it apart this afternoon. Most of the screws came pretty easy but a couple were kind of snug and the handle was another story, the handle screw was easy getting the handle off took a little more time but it finally came. Hopefully have the whole thing in pieces in the morning.
Roger

Roger

Help Mr. Wizard, Got the reel apart, really pretty simple. Everything looks good, had a bunch of old nasty grease inside. Got one question. What is the best way to get the spool bearings out? I've played with them for a little while but I don't want to get too rough and tear one up.
Roger

kamuwela

Quote from: Roger on December 13, 2009, 11:32:26 PM
Help Mr. Wizard, Got the reel apart, really pretty simple. Everything looks good, had a bunch of old nasty grease inside. Got one question. What is the best way to get the spool bearings out? I've played with them for a little while but I don't want to get too rough and tear one up.
roger  if all else fails try a slim brass punch and try getting them out by driving out from the other side. i thought you were having problems with side  plate bearings in your message sorry you may have to replace the bearings anyways if they are frozen in that bad. bearings run about $17 each just dont damage the spool thatll set you back about $150 aloha kamu

alantani

make a little pry bar from an old penn wrench.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0  also, check the bearings.  if they are already buggered up and will have to be replaced anyway, just pound them out.  make sure you remove the click plate first, just incase yours has a retaining ring for the bearing.  penn is kind of sneaky about that.  if it's going to be easy, i'll just use the spool shaft to lightly tap it out.  careful here.  you don't want to cause any damage to either. 

now, when penn machines the spools, they mill out the bearing cup so that you get a "slip" fit.  after a couple of layers of anodizing, you sometimes have a "pressed" fit, or no fit at all.  after tearing out my hair on a few reels, i've finally started using a dremmel with a sanding reel to remove the anodizing in the bearing cup and restore it to a "slip" fit.  jeez, you've gotta be careful here as well.  if you screw this up by removing too much material, you may have to buy a new spool. 

Roger

Those little penn wrenches just aren't stout enough. They just straight'n out and I do not need to buy a new spool so I've got them soak'n and started on the sideplates and those bearings just popped right out. I'll work on spool later. Thanks for the reply, persistance will pay off.......
Roger

alantani

yeah, but i know the penn wrenches are a little soft but i worry about using anything harder.   :-\

Roger

that was the other thing, I definitely didn't want to mess up the spool and bearings appear to be in good shape. I got both the sideplates done this afternoon and I'm really not in a hurry. This has been a pretty good learning experience but after looking at Kamu's rebuild and the schematic it was really pretty easy. It's been fun........
Roger

alantani

we've created another monster!  the comment, "hey, this is fun..." is exactly how i started.  the goal is to be able to go through one of these reels in an hour.  your in home (garage) service rate should be $60 an hour.  if you have to maintain a store front, it should be at least $90 an hour. then add in the cost of parts!   in any given marina, there should be enough of these to keep you busy, but you'll never get rich doing reel repair.  alan

realmedic

alan,

you arent kidding about never getting rich i too started out with hey this is fun. and to me it truely is. freshwater fishing is pretty good business in alabama but as with any reel repair business the bulk of it is seasonal. speaking of monster i call it Beating The Dragon. ;) however to truely make a good living at it once i make money most of it goes back into the business. small business loans are impossiable ive checked. as i have always wanted my own store for tackle, rods, reels, gas, and boating equipment, and deli as well as having my reel service center. also a luanch ramp for bass fishermen or other boaters.  ;D
at this time i work out of my home so i'm saving what i can to try to reach the dream.  ;)

Roger

WOOOHOOOOO.......... After soaking the spool in liquid wrench I finally got 'em to move, it took my wife holding the spool down and me work'n them out. I really don't care for the bearings in this reel. I pulled the metal shields on one side but the other side was a hard plastic and when I started to get it coming realized the balls were part of the shield. Any how cleaned up good, new grease and put the shields back in. The reels back together and checks out fine. I just wish there had been some line on the reel and had a drag scale that went over 50#, mine only goes to 50#. I'd like to see what this monster puts out. Alan, this is a hobby for me, I'm partially disabled and make a little money doing this on the side. You've been a great wealth of information for me in the last year and I thank you and also Kamu on his 50 rebuild.

Thanks
Roger