Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hello guys, today I decided to upgrade a Penn Surfmaster 100.
Here are the parts that I will be installing, including a nice Tiburon topless ice blue frame

the parts on this reel look new, but I'm still going to change the bridge plate...chomed parts look so much better,
the brass gear wiil also be replaced with steel gears. Let's not forget Lee's ss dog.

I will also be replacing these slotted screws with stainless steel screws, I'm sure some of you know that those slotted screws can be a pain to work with

and here are the phillips head ss screws

Left side plate also gets ss screws

when upgrading to a larger handle, I also like to replace the 10-60 star with the 10-66, it's just a little larger

and the handle

and here is the finished reel

I believe it's fit for the job, but we'll see. I'm not taking this ice blue one, I'll try this one  

Enjoy!
Sal
Alan, you wanted me to check the sleeves out and I told you that the one with the insert (fine thread) could use the pin hole about 1/32 higher, I'm also showing that in one of the shot above. I had no idea that the others were already drilled twice and fixed, I just noticed it, as I was using it. I really like the way those fit, no slop with the handle whatsoever....good job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

That's a cute purdy reel for a manly guy like you. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

They make good albacore live bait and swimbait reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

As usual great job Sal.  Lee interesting "molon Labe" is new in your signature.  The amount of knowledge on this site is amazing.  Lee is into ancient greek also.  I think he's eating too much lamb.  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

The reel came out nice, I like the colors & the shine. You should have fun with the Blues with that set up. I use about the same size reels, either the Newell 322 or the 501 Penn if I ever do them. Most Blues last year were 10#  + all season.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Cone

Great looking reel, Sal. As strong as it is purty. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Mike, I've been fishing those for many years, close to 40. I usually have a couple of Jigmasters and ss spinners on the boat, my largest was a 44" and very close in its weight, I think I have a picture of it somewhere on here. This reel is very close to the Squidder, with bushings instead of bearings, you already know how I feel about bushings vs bearings. The squidder does have a beefier spool shaft and outer rings, but it also has some senseless parts in handle side plate, that snap off pretty easily, one of my  reasons why I don't like those. This Surfmaster will be the smallest that I have ever used on those. Yes, I do believe it can hold its own, especially with all the goodies in there. As you already know, Stripers usually don't fight much, but Blues will give you a workout.
A Blue almost took the tip of my thumb once, I had teeth marks on it for over two years.
I often wonder what would happen if a school of Piranhas would run in a school of Blues :-\...would love to see it ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I have gone as small as a 9M or a Green 26 for Blues. On a private boat you can do anything. Not on a Open Boat.

Irish Jigger

Nice work as usual Sal. Did you have to trim the spacing sleeve to accommodate the 1/2 mm thicker  10-66 star? BTW the 10-505 fine thread star is the same thickness as the 10-60 and would go well with a fine threaded sleeve on this reel.

Get yourself a Quick-Wedge screwdriver,one of the most useful tools in my toolbox.Ref attached link.

http://www.newmantools.com/kedman.htm

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on February 09, 2013, 04:03:23 PM
I have gone as small as a 9M or a Green 26 for Blues. On a private boat you can do anything. Not on a Open Boat.
I'm surprised they would actually use a 9 reel for blues :-\. I've seen a few down my way use 209 and 309, but the remove the Level winder.

bluefish69

That was on my boat way back when. They would shoot me trying to use a 9M with 40+ passengers on board. They passed comments about me using a P235 but I used it all season anyway.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 09, 2013, 04:08:54 PM
Nice work as usual Sal. Did you have to trim the spacing sleeve to accommodate the 1/2 mm thicker  10-66 star? BTW the 10-505 fine thread star is the same thickness as the 10-60 and would go well with a fine threaded sleeve on this reel.

Get yourself a Quick-Wedge screwdriver,one of the most useful tools in my toolbox.Ref attached link.

http://www.newmantools.com/kedman.htm

Thanks Tom. No, didn't need to do any trimming to the spacer. I do hit the sleeve on the grinder, when i need to. Drag setting on all of my reels start soft, just the way I like them.
Thanks for the tip on the screwdriver, one of my brothers is an electrician and I remember him using one of those, but never gave it a thought.
Yes I know about the 505 and already have one set up that way, i prefer coars threads on mine though.
The ss screws is a very good upgrade on these. You know, this guy from Northern Ireland had to show me where to get those in my neck of the woods ;D
Thanks again Tom, I will order that screwdriver ;)

Irish Jigger

Thank's Sal, neat idea changing those  brass 5-40 slotted screws to Philips stainless steel,stronger and much easier to work with. Four little cardboard boxes on your work bench look familiar. ;)

For UK guys wanting  McMaster Carr parts,this UK company can get them for you.
http://www.protectivesupplies.com/procurementinternational.html

twopatch

Sal, Is that stainless main gear aftermarket? If it is not,which models come with them?

Alto Mare

Those are stock gears from Penn. The Surfmaster was discontinued around the year 2000. I can't tell you when penn replaced the steel with brass, if I had to guess, I would say during the mid 80's. Either way, the steel gears are much stronger than brass. I tried to get those older gears to rust and wasn't able to :-\.
Sal